Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Flop

So I've been hanging onto this recipe for about a month now... All the ingredients can usually be found in my cupboards, but I just hadn't gotten around to actually trying it. I decided that today would be the day.

Here it is:

Coconut Balls

Combine in food processor:
1/2 c raisins
3/4 c walnuts or pecans
1/2 c dried dates
1/2 c dried apricots
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp orange zest

Form into 1" balls and roll in 1 c unsweetened coconut.

Yummy, right? Well, I'd love to tell you, but this crumbly concoction is currently pressed into the bottom of a container in my fridge because it sure as heck could not be formed into 1" balls. I'm so sad! I sprinkled some coconut on top and I'm going to check on it later. I'm sure it will still taste good, it just wasn't what I was expecting. And I'm not really acccustomed to flopping in the kitchen. Boo.

Does anyone out there have a similar recipe that actually works??? I had my heart set on these little portion-controlled snacks, and I'm now officially (but temporarily) distrusting all recipes that haven't been proven awesome by someone I know.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At June 10, 2009 6:47 PM, Anonymous Elin said...

It needs a "binder" of some kind, like an egg, except you are not baking it.
That really wasn't helpful, but I tried ;)

 
At June 10, 2009 11:09 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

I would eat it if you pick the raisins out of it :) Bring it over.

 
At June 10, 2009 11:14 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

here's one my mom has used - i think you were missing the condensed milk.


Ingredients: 1/2cup golden raisins, chopped
1/2cup pitted prunes or dates, chopped
1/2cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2cup powdered sugar
1tablespoon grated orange peel
1/2cup sweetened condensed milk
1cup shredded coconut


Preparation: 1.Combine raisins, prunes, graham cracker crumbs, sugar and orange peel in medium bowl. Stir in condensed milk. Refrigerate until firm enough to shape into balls, about 30 minutes.
2.Place coconut in shallow bowl.
3.For each candy, shape scant tablespoonful fruit mixture into 1-inch ball. Roll in coconut.
4.Store in refrigerator.

 
At June 11, 2009 7:51 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

I wonder if warming the fruit in the microwave for a few seconds would make them bind together a bit better.

 
At June 14, 2009 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ew, I hate flops.

 
At June 15, 2009 8:57 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Thanks to everyone who commented or emailed with your recipes! They look yummy... But definitely more fat and calories than I'd hoped. I'll keep looking...

I did, however, save the day as far as this little flop was concerned. It turns out that this combination of dried fruit and nuts is freaking AMAZING on my morning oatmeal :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home