Thursday, May 21, 2009

Clearing Out The Clutter

Last month - a few weeks before we left on our trip - I joined an online friend in a project she started called Be Here Now. The idea was incredibly simple - to live more mindfully and make an effort to be present in every moment. Over the past month or so, I've been making an effort to do exactly that. It has NOT been easy, but the effort has been so worth it.

I've noticed myself being a little less frustrated in situations that would ordinarily have pushed me right over the edge. And I've noticed that each day holds just a little bit more joy - living in the moment forgives a dirty house in favour of some giggle time with a baby, it realizes that a phone call with a friend should be spent sitting with a cup of tea and not folding laundry, and it gives permission to just STOP every once in a while. The funny thing is that I expected my house to become a disaster zone while I 'lived in the moment' and gave up my multitasking way of life. It actually isn't *too* bad. Turns out that focusing on one task at a time is actually quite efficient - who knew.

All this focus on living more mindfully has made me incredibly sick of the clutter in my house and the baggage it represents. And so I'm getting rid of it. The events of this past year - specifically, becoming a first-time mom and helping to support my mom through a fight against breast cancer - have really impacted me. There's nothing like new life and a life-and-death battle to really set you straight and help you figure out your priorities. I realize more than ever that it's people (and not STUFF) that makes my life so valuable. Don't get me wrong... I like stuff. Particularly stuff in the form of books and clothes and shoes. But I'm finding that I really crave a home full of a little less stuff.

And so, I am embarking on a mission to get rid of all the stuff that I haven't touched in a few months. Seriously. I'll never miss it once it's gone. And the best part is that it's going to go to a great cause: the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. We're registered to do Run for the Cure again this year, in honour of my mom. And I'm planning a yard sale for sometime in June to kickstart our fundraising efforts. Anything that doesn't sell is getting packed up at the end of the day and taken straight to MCC.

For me, this clean-up of my house is also a clean-up of my heart. I want to be surrounded by people I love, not just stuff that I love. I'm really excited :)

Want to join me?

**UPDATE: We have tentatively selected Saturday, June 6 as our 'Yard Sale for the Cure' date.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At May 21, 2009 11:27 PM, Blogger ka said...

ALL OVER getting rid of stuff. I've done a ton of it in the last couple of months. Even things of Scarlett's that we did end up using or whatever - I figure no sense hanging on to all sorts of stuff for the second kid if I never used it for the first.

Only problem is that between getting married and having a baby you are give so much stuff by others... I was trying to work on a "one in, two out" rule. Not sure how well it went. And Kris was on the losing end more than me for a while, so I had to take a break from tossing out his stuff. I'm shocked how attached a 33 year old man can be a pair of green, wide whale Guess cords from high school. Just because they fit, doesn't mean you should keep them... :)

 
At May 22, 2009 1:56 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Great idea! I'll also try a little harder with this incentive...out go the old flower pots in basement today:)
Why do I keep listening for a little shriek?):

 
At May 22, 2009 8:00 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

Kev and I will TOTALLY join in getting rid of stuff!!! I think we've got some gooders that we can get rid of too! :) Never mind that Chloe and I will GLADLY volunteer to sit and take money from people -- one of my favorite things to do. lol. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home