Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Going Rogue

AHHHH...

That is my sound of relief that I no longer need to keep this secret from my blog (and my work-connected friends).

During my bloggy silence, I've been busy thinking, planning, praying, researching, and finally meeting with my people at Cocoon. The short version of the story is that I've now let them know that I am not intending to return as their full-time Communications Director when my mat leave ends in October. Instead, I'll be starting my own business and doing my best to dig up some work as a freelance writer and communications / public relations consultant.

In a crazy little turn of events, I've signed up Cocoon as my first client. And I started today. Yes, seriously. My assistant there - who was supposed to be covering my mat leave - quit last week, so there really wasn't a lot of time to think about it. I met with Cocoon on Thursday for a preliminary chat, so to say that this happened quickly is the understatement of the century. That's how we roll in the advertising industry, hehe :)

In the meantime, I'm thinking about business names, downloading government forms, researching Canada Revenue small business rules, waiting on hold with EI to figure out the impact on my mat leave, learning about business accounting, ordering a Mac, and just generally learning as much as I can about starting a business.

It's a little bit crazy. It's incredibly scary, because I really have to trust that we'll be able to make this sustainable - at least until Briony is two (which is my short-term goal). And it's very, very exciting for me and my little family, because I'm going to be able to do 95%+ of this work from home (or from wherever my laptop gets a wireless internet connection).

AHHHH!!!

(That one was excited :)

PS - Now poor Geoff can't use this image that he'd been saving for me to use on my blog. HAR HAR.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At June 30, 2009 8:45 PM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

Good for you! Best of luck with your business venture!

 
At June 30, 2009 9:30 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Great announcement and glad you don't have to use Geoff's 'funny buttons' page:) Good success!

 
At June 30, 2009 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Lindsay! You'll do GREAT!

 
At July 05, 2009 11:58 PM, Blogger Tannis said...

Very cool! You could just use "Rogue" as a business name.

 
At July 06, 2009 6:34 PM, Anonymous Erin said...

Congratulations! That's going to be an awesome step for you. I just know it's going to be a great success.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home