Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One of Those Days

My day today really started last night, when Briony and I arrived home and woke up Geoff around 8 pm (he'd been working a series of night shifts). This meant - of course - that he was totally rested and wide awake while our days were just winding down... I stayed up a little later than I probably should have, just hanging out and catching up - a calculated decision, knowing that he'd be home on Tuesday and Wednesday to help with Briony. I should have known better.

The phone rang at 6.05 this morning, pretty much begging him to come into work because they were so short-staffed. He was gone by 6.15. Briony kind of woke up while he was getting ready, and by 6.38 our day had officially begun - a full hour or two earlier than usual. Sigh.

Geoff's unexpected shift meant that I was on my own today - a day that included a few appointments that I'd lined up specifically because I knew he was off today. In the end, my mom and my aunt filled in and were very happy to take care of Briony. I even got to have lunch with Anica (who turned nine years old today), which was kind of a neat little surprise.

But I showed up at my massage appointment this afternoon only to find out that they had me booked for the same time TOMORROW. Never mind the card I have in my purse that says today's date. And there was nothing they could do to fit me in. Double sigh.

The silver lining was that I now had time to go for groceries without Briony before I saw my doctor. But then my doctor was in a *huge* hurry, and the lady working at the lab downstairs was *clearly* in training. It was a no good very bad blood test. And I'm on a waiting list for all my other tests until June or July. (This is all going back to me getting so suddenly super-sick two weeks ago. Good alliteration, Lindsay.)

In the midst of it all, Geoff and I have literally been playing phone tag ALL DAY. I have something like eleven missed calls from him, and I've called him at least half as many times. We've actually managed to talk for around ten seconds twice today - once he had to go because of an emergency at work, and once my doctor walked in to start my appointment. I actually managed to parallel park on Corydon (successfully) while I was on hold with his unit assistant, which I think deserves some sort of honorable mention.

Anyway. I'm very aware that none of this is earth shattering. Just a tiring, frustrating day. Fortunately, I already know how this day ends. Geoff will come home. And then Amber, Dolly, and Christine are coming over with Starbucks for a little girls night at our place. Due to the events of today, my house will not be clean. But I'm starting to realize how little that truly matters.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At April 21, 2009 5:09 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

It sounds like you're going to crash here in Abbotsford): Good place to be though(:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home