Thursday, February 12, 2009

Recipe: Easy Beef Stew

Did you hear? It's Slow Cooker Week here at RunLindsayRun. All week, I'll be testing recipes for your culinary enjoyment.

-

The Recipe:

EASY BEEF STEW
*Modified rom Crockpot365.blogspot.com

12 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 c carrots, chopped
1 c celery, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can corn
1/2 can water or beef broth
2 lb stewing beef
2 tsp salt
2 pkg onion soup mix

Stir ingredients together in a slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then turn to LOW and cook an additional 4-5 hours.

The Evidence:

The photo is on my camera. Will add it here soon. Trust me, it just looks like beef stew :)

The Review:

Stew is pretty easy to make. Let me tell you, it is even easier in a slow cooker. It was easy peasy, other than peeling all those potatoes.

I felt kind of obligated to try a beef stew recipe as part of slow cooker week, because it's one of those classic slow cooker meals. I have a recipe I've used before, but I thought I'd try something new - in search of a *perfect* stew recipe.

This wasn't it. But it was still pretty good. I wasn't the biggest fan of dumping in all the sodium and junk in the onion soup mix, but it was a super-easy way to add lots of flavour to this recipe without putting any effort in at all (plus it's something I often have on hand). I'd make this again because it had a really good stew texture and consistency, but I'd play around with the seasoning.

The Verdict:

No boy ever complains about beef stew. Geoff liked it. And my parents liked the leftovers that I brought along with me the next day.

I need to play with this one a bit before I'm happy with it, but it was a good start. I'd make it again, but not exactly the same way. If you're a little less picky about preservatives and all of that fun stuff, then by all means - give this one a try, and let me know what you think.

What's still on my list, you ask? Lemon Chicken. African Peanut Soup. And Creme Brulee (which will either end in brilliance or giggles - there's no middle ground on that one, I'm pretty sure).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home