Sunday, February 08, 2009

Recipe: Pizza Soup

Did you hear? It's Slow Cooker Week here at RunLindsayRun. All week, I'll be testing recipes for your culinary enjoyment.

-

The Recipe:

PIZZA SOUP
*From Crockpot365.blogspot.com

1 jar pizza sauce
3 jars water
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 c mushrooms, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
2-3 italian sausages, cooked and chopped
1 c pepperoni, chopped
basil
oregano
1/2 c dry pasta
cheese (for garnish)

Combine all ingredients (except the pasta and cheese) in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours. 30 minutes before serving, stir in the pasta and switch to HIGH. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese on top.

The Evidence:




The Review:

I was totally intrigued by this recipe because pizza = yummy, but carbs = eternal baby fat. And this recipe was *exactly* what it promised to be: pizza in soup form. I realized later that once I added the pasta and served it with bread (a new cheese and onion ciabatta bread from Safeway that was ridiculously good), I may as well have had the crust. Oh well.

I didn't have pizza sauce on hand, but I used a jar of pasta sauce and it was great. And I replaced the basil with some Italian flavour Mrs Dash. (I couldn't find mine... What the heck?)

This soup was super-easy to make and impossible to screw up, because everything was pre-cooked (I microwaved the sausage for a couple of minutes - easy peasy). You're basically just slow cooking it to warm it up and let the flavours mingle. And it will make your house smell sooo good.

The Verdict:

Geoff whined about the mushrooms, but I left them in huge chunks so that they were easy to pick out. Sigh. But we both really liked it. It's not fancy at all, but it really fills you up - and it had a lot more flavour than I thought it would.

I will definitely make this one again. And I suspect that it will be an awesome way to sneak veggies into a skeptical toddler... Seriously, it's called PIZZA SOUP. The kid in all of us is automatically kind of excited about it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At February 09, 2009 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good one! I was mentally going down the ingredient list to see if I had everything to make it for tonight...dang it I don't have everything, but I MAY be able to improvise. I think I'm going to like Slow Cooker Week :)

 
At February 09, 2009 3:02 PM, Blogger Elleah said...

That sounds amazing! I love slow cooker meals...I find it way easier to plop everything in there in the morning than to make supper at the end of the day.

 
At February 09, 2009 9:40 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Erin - YAY! Let me know how it turned out :)

Elleah - I totally agree. That's why I've started to use mine more. It's just so much easier to make dinner early in the day when you still have energy.

 
At February 09, 2009 9:42 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Erin Again - I was thinking that, with some very minor modifications (including the meat), this could easily become something that is Shelley-diet-approved. That made me happy :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home