Monday, February 09, 2009

Recipe: Crockpot Indian Curry

Did you hear? It's Slow Cooker Week here at RunLindsayRun. All week, I'll be testing recipes for your culinary enjoyment.

-

The Recipe:

CROCKPOT INDIAN CURRY
*Modified from Crockpot365.blogspot.com and Rachael Ray

1 can coconut milk (unsweetened)
1 can garbonzo beans
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp cumin
ginger, garlic, and hot sauce to taste

4-6 chicken thighs
*I used 12 small ones, so that we'd have leftovers

1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 eggplant, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped

Mix sauce ingredients together in slow cooker. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat. Add chopped vegetables on top. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours (or HIGH for 4-6 hours). Stir gently and serve over rice.

The Evidence:


Wow. That doesn't actually look very appetizing, does it? Well, it tasted better than it looked :)

The Review:

Big shock, but this nice little Mennonite girl has never attempted to make curry before... This seemed like a pretty safe way to experiment. I've always enjoyed these types of dishes, but was too intimidated to try it at home. Turns out, this was the easiest thing EVER.

It was really good. Next time, I wouldn't be as cautious with the hot sauce - without enough of it, this recipe is very flavourful but a little flat. We added some after the fact, and it was yummy.

I was a little surprised at how much liquid was left in the curry once it was all finished cooking, because it seemed very dry when I was mixing up all the ingredients. When I started the rice, I cranked up the slow cooker to HIGH and took off the lid in hopes of evaporating some of it. Next time, I'd let it cook like that just a little bit longer. Not a big deal, just something to note.

Oh, and the best part of cooking with eggplant is chopping it up. Seriously. There's just something about the texture that makes me want to cut it. (Don't judge me. At least not until you've gone to the store, purchased an eggplant, and tried it for yourself.)

The Verdict:

Geoff and I both liked this recipe. He complained about the eggplant a little bit (I left it in big, easy-to-remove chunks - notice a pattern here? hehe) and he added the hot sauce pretty liberally, which I took as a bad sign - but he went straight back for seconds.

Another one to add to my recipe collection. Though I'm also planning to try this Thai curry recipe someday soon - and I'm curious to compare the two.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At February 09, 2009 10:35 PM, Blogger Amber said...

are you trying to steal my recipe thunder, Mrs. Wright? hehe ;)

I'm looking forward to trying this one out, i just got a crockpot for Christmas.

 
At February 09, 2009 11:30 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

You'll know that I've taken over once I start posting cupcake recipes ;)

 
At February 10, 2009 9:50 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Nooooo! You wouldn't! :( haha

 
At February 10, 2009 11:26 AM, Blogger gloria said...

thai curry kicks indian curry's butt!

 
At February 10, 2009 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I never tried eggplant in curry but know I'd like it. I think the crockpot is the easiest way to fix a meal and so many different ways to use it. Cook on:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home