Monday, November 10, 2008

Plus Seven

I think that the mornings are the hardest.

In that first moment - just before I open my eyes - I have one of those Christmas moments. You know the ones where you know that something wonderful is about to happen, something that you've been looking forward to. You start going through the typical list (is it Christmas? is it my birthday? are we going on a trip? did something awesome happen at work? do I have an incredible new pair of shoes to wear today?) It takes a split second before it registers, before I remember: we're having a baby!

It's that next second that hurts my heart a little bit - the second where I realize that I've slept through another night without going into labour, and that I'm starting another day with my arms empty.

It's usually around that time that Briony realizes I'm awake and starts into her first gymnastics routine of the morning, and it's hard to stay sad once that happens. Instead, I lie there and enjoy the time we're spending together - and start to plan my day that had previously had 'give birth to baby girl' pencilled in as a priority activity.

Today, Geoff and I are going shopping to fill an Operation Christmas Child shoebox. And my mom is coming for lunch.

And tomorrow is another day, another chance.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 10, 2008 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"and that I'm starting another day with my arms empty."

You could be hugging Geoff!!!!

 
At November 10, 2008 1:30 PM, Blogger Danae said...

that's great that you are finding ways to occupy yourself in the meantime! i remember i kept telling myself that by June 27th i would for sure have a baby no matter what (that was 2 weeks past my due date).... it helped me just knowing that there was a date i could count on. all the best!

 
At November 10, 2008 8:46 PM, Blogger ka said...

Hey - at least she's letting YOU wake up before she wakes up. Let me assure you that changes. Now, I don't even BUDGE out of bed until Scarlett is up.

Just, fortunately for me, that's almost never before 8:30. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home