Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Tell Every Woman

We're right in the middle of launching what will be my final Cocoon project until I return from mat leave, and I'm pretty excited about it.

What is it, you ask? We're spreading the word about Manitoba Pap Test Week.

I'll let that sink in for a moment. Now I'll tell you why I'm so excited about it, and why it's so important.
- Around 50 Manitoba women are diagnosed with cervical cancer each year
- In 2008, 15 Manitoba women will die from the disease
- Regular Pap Tests can prevent up to 80% of cervical cancer
- Only 49% of eligible women in Manitoba have had a recent Pap Test
- Most women who get cervical cancer have not had a Pap Test, or have not had one in over 5 years
- 1 in 14 women will have an abnormal Pap Test result (this does NOT mean that you have cervical cancer, but it DOES mean that you should keep your follow-up appointments)

October 20 to 24 is Manitoba Pap Test Week. Any woman can have a Pap Test without an appointment by visiting a participating clinic. All women who have ever been sexually active (or who are over 18) should have regular Pap Tests as a way to help prevent cervical cancer.

To find a participating clinic in your community, click here or call 204.788.8626 (toll free 1.866.616.8805). You can also call this same number to find out the results of your past Pap Tests.

If you haven't had a Pap Test in the past two years and you have a doctor who you trust, call today and make an appointment. If you don't like your doctor or don't have one, check out one of the Pap Week clinics and get it over with.

And that's all I have to say about that. I don't want to hear your excuses, girls. We all hate going. But it's important - and YOU are responsible for your own health.

Now tell all your friends. I know it's not as 'okay' to talk about cervical cancer as it is to talk about breast cancer... But we can change that :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At October 09, 2008 11:16 AM, Blogger ka said...

Have a baby and a pap is NOTHING. :) They actually warm the spatula thing up now, which proves that there are more women in the medical field. Why we put up with the cold one for so long is beyond me...

 
At October 09, 2008 1:17 PM, Blogger Jobina said...

Ha! I think it's funny that so few people comment on these kind of posts. Good for you for promoting pap tests! I've been faithful every year since I was 18 (which totally shocked my doctor!). Sadly to say, he said there were very few women who are that consistent. Better to be safe than sorry! Now I need to be better with my breast exams...hey, another idea for a post! ;)

 
At October 09, 2008 1:29 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Hey, I advocate BOTH. We're all responsible for our own health and our own bodies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home