Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Three Days and Counting

Yeah, you heard that right. I'm counting. Who knew.

When I first started to contemplate a 'work completion' date, I had no idea how to decide. You want to pick a date that's early enough so you can enjoy a little bit of time before the baby comes and your life gets flipped upside-down. You also want to pick a date so you can avoid sitting around and twiddling your thumbs for six weeks. I hoped and prayed to strike a balance between hysterics about being super-sad to leave my job (that I love) and feeling like I had stayed at work too long and missed out on some critical home time.

My final decision was not really that strategic. Thanksgiving seemed like a natural break - everyone else will leave on a long weekend, and I'll leave for twelve months. And that was pretty much that. How the heck was I supposed to know how to pick a mat leave date?! I've never done this before.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think I've nailed it. I'm going to shed tears on Friday, to be sure, but I feel deep in my heart of hearts that I'm done (for now). I have three days now to tie up as many loose ends as I can, pack up my desk, say a few temporary goodbyes, and begin the next part of this wild and incredible journey that is my life.

Crap. I'm crying while I'm writing this. This does NOT bode well for Friday.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At October 07, 2008 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theres so much happening in your family life and you have been so busy at work that you deserve to take off this time before the baby arrives.It is sad because your life now is still so consistantly between the job and the other things.Relax and allow yourself this time to enjoy the blessings of what you have received the past year.Cry a little and let go!

 
At October 08, 2008 9:58 AM, Blogger Elleah said...

I also picked Thanksgiving week-end to start my maternity leave and it was perfect! I had 2 quiet weeks at home and I haven't had any quiet weeks since then. :)

 
At October 08, 2008 12:34 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I cried too when I left my job and I didn't even like it. Congrats - 3 more days!

 
At October 08, 2008 1:56 PM, Blogger gloria said...

i cried when i left rhymeswithblowen too and i also did not like my job in the end, NOR did i have baby-hormones to blame...

 
At October 08, 2008 2:03 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Thanks :)

Gloria - Funny, because I didn't cry (and it wasn't my choice to leave when I did). They ushered me into a room to meet with a career counselor once they'd given me the official 'see ya later' - and the counselor was SO concerned and sympathetic. I looked at him and said, 'Are you kidding me? This is like Christmas and my birthday on the same day.' We had a great laugh and he congratulated me. I'm sure it made some unnamed people on the other side of the wall cranky to hear me laughing and cheering... hehe. Of course, I cried later, because I hate change... But it was a weird, funny moment.

 
At October 08, 2008 7:22 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

To Lindsay and Gloria:
We should write a book on "surviving you-know-where"! There are a lot of people out there who might benefit from knowing that there is a great life after rhymes-with-blowen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home