Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Bubble Kind of Day

I'm trying really hard to have a good day. But today is one of those days when that's hard. I'm not even sure that Starbucks will fix it (gasp!) - though of course, I picked up a half-caf caramel macchiato on my way into the office this morning anyway. (That little detail was totally for Mel... :)

We found out yesterday that Geoff will not be able to take the two months of leave in November and December that we'd planned on (lousy antiquated union contract that favours mothers and totally discriminates against fathers). If he wants any time off - other than the *two* days he'll be eligible to request when I go into labour - the only option would be to take that time as an unpaid leave of absence. Which is not really an option at all.

I'm glad we found out now, so I have time to adjust my expectations and my picture of what our first weeks as parents will look like. But it's a little hard for me not to feel scared. With my mom sick and my own health questionable at best, I'd been counting on the extra support of having Geoff at home - but I know that God cares about me, and about our little family. And no matter how this turns out, it's going to be okay. I might just have to get much awesomer at asking for help (sigh).

His boss is looking into what they can do to move around his vacation time to give us a little bit more time at home together in those early months. So if you're looking for something to pray about - please feel free :)

I've been working all day to gather up all my little worries about this, and - as Nicole so wisely advised yesterday - put them in a bubble and blow them away. It's been hard, though. I suppose that if it was easy to do that, we'd all be incredibly well-adjusted and self-sufficient (and boring).

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At August 21, 2008 10:02 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Hey Linds,
I appreciate the shout out about the Starbucks. You realize I'm just jealous because the closest Bucks to me is over 50km away - sign.
I hope everything works out to have Geoff at home after the baby. :)
Mel

 
At August 21, 2008 11:27 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Life WOULD be boring, wouldn't it? Seriously though, thanks for sharing. I always appreciate your honesty about where you're at. Many hugs and prayers (since I didn't get a chance to actually hug you yesterday)!

 
At August 21, 2008 12:15 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Great post Lindsay. I will keep praying for your peace of mind. From one control freak to another, I completely understand the whole "letting go" dilemma.

(Did I say control freak? I meant Type A)

 
At August 21, 2008 1:53 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Love that visual Lindsay. Praying that this will all figure itself out and like you said, at least you found out now instead of 2 months from now. Still hard though. Anything you need come baby's arrival don't hesitate to ask.

 
At August 21, 2008 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great big hugs today! And of course, the many many prayers I'll send up for you, my dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home