Monday, August 18, 2008

Things No One Warned Me About: The Glucose Test

To: All the people who told me that a glucose test was 'no big deal.'

Um, it was super-gross. I'm guessing that it was worse for me than it should have been because I've had next to no artificial sugar, food dyes, etc in my system since January - and I just chugged a bottle *full* of syrupy-sweet orange grossness. It was seriously a struggle to get it down, then to keep it down, and even now - back at work - to not make a beeline for the bathroom.

And to add insult to injury? Manitoba Health covers the cost of the test, but not the drink. So I had to dig around in the bottom of my purse to come up with $2 in change before they'd hand over my orangelicious treat and allow me the pleasure of drinking it.

Baby, you're lucky I love you. And I'm lucky Geoff loves me, because he sat beside me through this little ordeal while I bitched about every detail, and then he drove a very cranky and miserable Lindsay to work.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At August 18, 2008 11:48 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

yeah....it would have been nice to have been prewarned about it. I had troubles keeping mine down also. but, just hope you don't have to go for the extended stay version, with three blood tests....

 
At August 18, 2008 12:27 PM, Blogger gloria said...

they CHARGED you for the drink? i have never charged anyone here at the clinic in Niv for that drink. think the receptionist needed some starbucks cash

 
At August 18, 2008 1:52 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

That stuff is so horrible....and you had to PAY FOR IT? Not right. I just remember the nurse telling me that if I threw up...I'd have to start again!...that would have been another $2....for you.

Thank goodness it's over....this time. :)

 
At August 18, 2008 2:01 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Aw, thanks for the sympathy, ladies. And glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought that the measly $2 charge was beyond bizarre...

 
At August 18, 2008 3:54 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I think the charge was bizarre, but I honestly didn't mind the drink. :) It was cold, and tasted like orange crush - lol. I just pounded mine in one fowl swoop, while the poor lady beside me struggled to gag it down. I was expecting the worst and it was a cake walk. Maybe I'm weird. :)

 
At August 19, 2008 11:16 PM, Blogger ka said...

I don't recall doing this? Is this a bad sign? Does it mean I didn't do it, or I blocked it from my memory?

Huh. Oh well. She's out, and she's healthy, so we trudge forward... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home