Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday Smile

So something pretty strange happened yesterday. I showed up early for my yoga class - and so did a couple of other women in the class. We ended up spending 10 or 15 minutes talking and getting to know each other... And - here's the strange part - I actually really enjoyed spending some time with these pregnant women.

Out of the eight women in the class, six are pregnant with their first child (the other two have a toddler at home already). Everyone' s between 25 and 35, and having a healthy, happy pregnancy experience - otherwise, their doctors would not be allowing them to sign up for a prenatal exercise class. Everyone is due between the end of August and the end of November. Most are relatively newly married. So we are seriously all in the same boat.

It was really fascinating to me. At 'home' in Niverville, I feel so old to be having my first baby. At 'home' in Winnipeg, I feel way too young - and my friends aren't even really considering families yet. But here, I found a peer group - and a place where I feel wonderfully, deliciously NORMAL.

Visualize for just a moment... A room full of pregnant women sitting on colourful mats, talking animatedly about how they felt at their first ultrasound, how hard it is to find a cute diaper bag, and how their husband is acting like it doesn't matter but secretly hoping that the baby will be a boy. Everyone's shape and size is completely different, but everyone has that undeniable pregnant glow. It was really beautiful.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At July 25, 2008 11:17 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

That's awesome, Linds. I'm glad you were able to find a perfect peer group.

:)

 
At July 25, 2008 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How great and relaxing to feel 'normal' for a nice change:) And what husband doesn't want a daughter?!

 
At July 25, 2008 1:55 PM, Blogger ka said...

I'm telling you - we're a cult. Speaking on behalf of your one friend in the exact same boat. :)

And Dads all want boys until they get a girl and see how she melts them. Or maybe that's why they're scared to have a girl? Though Kris has already started asking Scarlett if she wants a little brother. NOT YET!! Mama made sure of that yesterday. And no more faulty pills for me... Deets to follow. :)

 
At July 25, 2008 2:40 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Funny... Geoff really, honestly doesn't care what we have. Neither do I. I think we're so in awe of the idea of having a child that - as long as it's healthy - that's all we'd ever dream of asking for.

Ah, KA. The similarities will never cease to amuse me :)

 
At July 25, 2008 3:19 PM, Blogger Amber said...

About that diaper bag...you just inspired a post on my site :) Thanks!

PS: You're looking sooo cute! Too bad we didn't have more time to chat yesterday, miss busy ;)

 
At July 25, 2008 3:46 PM, Blogger Jobina said...

oh thanks, I needed a smile today!

 
At July 25, 2008 7:39 PM, Blogger sherri said...

makes me think of the sisterhood of the traveling pants. have you watched it? You should watch it.

 
At July 25, 2008 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happened to buy a nice pink blanket today.Baby blanket.First girl gets it!!Guess who?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home