Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tricky

So a funny thing happened to me yesterday... I started getting some mild chemo symptoms.

Some of you know that I was on a chemo drug to treat my arthritis in high school and university. I don't pretend to understand what it's like to go through chemotherapy for cancer - what I had to do was not even comparable - but I do understand what some of the side effects could feel like, in a milder form, because I lived with them every single weekend for four years of my life.

I haven't felt those symptoms in a long, long time. But yesterday, I started to feel a little queasy and my mouth started tasting really gross and metallic - something I can't really describe to you unless you've been on a medication that does that. This morning, I felt the same, plus I had a couple of sores inside my mouth, and I just kind of generally feel achy. Super creepy stuff. I know that it's entirely psychological. It's absolutely amazing to me how powerful our minds can be.

My mom is doing okay. Her REAL symptoms started to kick in last night, and it's more like how we expected chemo to be.

I'm heading out there tonight after work and hanging out with her all day tomorrow... I think I'll feel better about this whole thing once I'm close enough see her for myself and to contribute something tangible: hugs and smoothies and The Office on DVD :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 24, 2008 12:09 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Give your mom a gigantic hug for me!

 
At June 24, 2008 6:39 PM, Blogger Pearl said...

And from me too, please.

 
At June 26, 2008 10:42 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Hugs were delivered, and appreciated :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home