Friday, June 20, 2008

Three Days and Counting

I honestly can't decide if this time in our lives has been dragging slowly or flying by, but we are now officially three days away from my mom starting chemo.

This weekend, a fair representation of my family is planning to spend lots and lots of time just hanging out at Falcon Lake together. I'm really looking forward to it. I just feel like it's really important for us to share this time together, because *more* changes are coming for our family, and - through it all - we're a team. Thanks for all of you who prayed me back to health this week. It means so much that I'm healthy enough to be able to join my family at the lake this weekend, without fear of getting my mom sick and compromising her treatment plan.

I've been doing so much reading about chemotherapy in general and my mom's treatment plan in particular, so I think I'm about as mentally prepared as I can be. The emotional preparation is another question entirely... And I don't think that we'll know about that until we get there.

A few of you have been wondering/asking, and - yes - they've guaranteed that my mom will lose her hair during treatment. We're expecting that to happen somewhere around the three-week mark. You can join us in praying that she has a nicely-shaped head :)

This morning's new worry was about how much could go wrong in administering the chemo - making sure that my mom gets the correct drugs in the correct dosages. On the way to work today, Geoff very patiently walked me through hospital procedures to assure me that every single drug that goes to every single patient - even something as simple as a Tylenol or a Gravol pill - gets checked a minimum of five times before it actually goes to the patient. Thanks, Babe :)

My mom is doing okay. Lots of recovery left to do from her mangled surgery on Monday, but they're still confident that they'll be able to use the port by Monday. And (if you can believe it) my parents were rear-ended yesterday, so please pray that they won't have a big Autopac headache to deal with, and that they will both escape any whiplash or other injuries that accident might have caused.

And so it begins.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At June 20, 2008 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. I hadn't even worried about NOT having a nicely shaped head till now! jk The hard part is the fear of the unknown so once I have my first treatment out of the way we'll have a much better idea of what we're dealing with. And God knows I need some mercy and grace! Losing my hair is so minor in the big picture.

 
At June 20, 2008 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell that you and your Momma don't have the same worries (until now) about the shapes of parts of your bodies:) Your shape will fill out soon enough and the butterflutters will be jabs and pokes. And I'm glad Momma has had her 'poke' over with and it's on to the next challenge for you all. Many prayers for all of you. His grace IS sufficient.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home