Thursday, June 12, 2008

Meeting Baby

So yesterday was a gong show... An hour before my ultrasound appointment, I was in a meeting and frantically trying to consume the recommended amount of liquid to fill up my bladder. I've heard horror stories from other moms-to-be, and seriously - ugh! By the time Geoff picked me up and we got to St B, I was bitchy and miserable due to the fact that I was drowning internally.

We went to Information, and they sent us up to the Ultrasound department. All fine and good, except that the Ultrasound department had never heard of me. The got the Fetal Assessment department on the phone, and apparently had some better luck with that receptionist, because they sent me down there. Nothing like a leisurely stroll to the other side of the hospital with a miserably full bladder... I was not a happy camper.

And I was even less happy when the chick in Fetal Assessment took my health card, and realized that I was not in her book either. She asked if I minded waiting while she tried to figure it out, and I said it was no problem - except that I was dealing with an uncomfortably full bladder. She then informed me that they preferred empty bladder ultrasounds. I worked on deciding whether to laugh or cry while I bee-lined it too the bathroom.

When I got back to the desk, I found out that I *was* supposed to be in Ultrasound - but for some reason that we will never understand, they had my maiden name on file and not my married name. And then the receptionist from Fetal Assessment - very apologetically - slid two large cups full of water across the counter to me.

I guzzled the water on my way up to Ultrasound, and after a brief wait, they got me in to a room and started the test. The irony of all ironies is that - after spending ten minutes trying to get a good picture - the ultrasound tech suggested trying it on an empty bladder. My poor, poor body.

The ultrasound itself took nearly an hour and a half, because they sent me for a walk twice in hopes of calming the baby down or moving it into a better position. Turns out we have quite the little monkey on our hands. The tech laughed and told us that she'd rarely seen such an active baby. I literally watched it doing flips in there, and I don't think that any part of that child stayed still for longer than a second or two. I was thanking my lucky stars that I can't feel any of that movement yet... When Geoff came in at the end and the tech was showing him the head and the face, Baby reached up and scratched its ear - and it looked exactly like a wave. Hilarious.

We headed from St B straight out to visit with my parents, and it was so nice to see my mom especially. After dinner and few hours together, it was back to the Big City - and straight to bed after such a big, jetlagged, adventure-filled day.

But the night's adventures weren't quite over yet. Just before I drifted off to sleep, I felt it. It was a little bit fluttery, and a little bit rumbly, but absolutely unmistakable. There's a baby in there!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At June 12, 2008 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems to be a week for unscheduled adventures:) But baby is about right on schedule and fluttering away. Bless his heart - he might as well jump around now as it gets tighter in his 'moving van' as the weeks go on!

 
At June 12, 2008 12:18 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Oh Lindsay, I feel your pain. What is it with the whole drink tons of water, we'd rather your bladder be empty thing. I remember at one point in my ultrasound the lady asked me to "empty only halfway". Are you kidding? How do you do that on a normal day let alone when your pregnant and feeling like you might explode! Bizarre.

SOOOOOO excited you felt those flutters! I'm just thrilled for you guys.

 
At June 12, 2008 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo! yay for baby flutters!

 
At June 12, 2008 3:02 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Isn't that the coolest (or weirdest) feeling in the world?

 
At June 12, 2008 5:29 PM, Blogger gloria said...

stop feeding that child coffee for crying out loud and it will stop acting like a circus monkey.... its like the time 5 year old aidan got his hands on chocolate covered coffee beans..... oooiiiieee!

 
At June 12, 2008 9:11 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I'm going to go with 'creepy' as my preferred adjective for right now. But in a good way :)

Amazingly, I'd been caffeine-free for a couple of days... Can you imagine what the little monkey's up to after a Starbucks latte?!

 
At June 14, 2008 12:38 PM, Blogger Elleah said...

YAY! Oh, and just so you know, I voted for your song at least 5 times!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home