Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thinking About Mother's Day

Nothing really felt adequate this Mother's Day.

What I really wanted to do for my mom was to take her cancer away. She used to tell me that she'd give anything to have my arthritis, so that I could live my life free of the disease. I understand that now, because I'd choose to take her cancer in a heartbeat. And it kind of breaks my heart that there is nothing I can do to make it better. She wouldn't give me her cancer anyway, even if she could. Which is fair, because I love her too much to have ever given her my arthritis.

I'm so angry at cancer for borrowing my mom, but I'm so happy that it's not taking and keeping her. I think she knows how much I need her. And it's making her fight.

And that's really the heart of it all. On Mother's Day this year, I just want to say thank you to my mom for loving us enough to fight the way she's fighting. I know that you will get tired sometimes, and you don't always have to be brave. Just know that I'm so proud of you for taking those baby steps forward - and those small things make you a hero to me.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At May 11, 2008 7:35 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

That was beautiful Lindsay.

I also want to wish YOU a very Happy Mother's Day. The next one may feel more "real", but I hope this one was extra special knowing your little babe is one the way!

 
At May 11, 2008 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was amazingly sweet, my dear! And even though you are not yet holding your baby in your arms, happy Mother's Day to you.

 
At May 11, 2008 9:10 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Thanks... You too, my dears!

 
At May 12, 2008 1:02 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Awesome post, Lindsay.

Just think how fantastic next year's mother's day will be with a healthy mom and two new babies.

:)

 
At May 12, 2008 2:12 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Aw, Crystal. You made me cry. At work. Grrr :)

It's going to be the best Mother's Day ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home