Monday, May 05, 2008

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is Surgery Day #2 (#3 if you count the biopsy) for my mom - her axillary node dissection (look at all the fancy new words we're learning!). If you're curious about what that involves, you can read about it here. Basically, they're removing 10 to 12 lymph nodes from under her arm and putting in a drain for a week or so. She'll be staying in the hospital this time, and they're expecting that she'll require physio to get her arm moving again once things are healed up.

It's good and it's bad. It seriously sucks that she requires a second surgery, though we understand why they opted for the less complicated surgery first. And we know that this surgery is just a precaution to make absolutely sure that they got all the cancer - which is awesome. But it's so hard. I'm so beyond pretending to be tough about this. It sucks, and I've shed tears over it in all kinds of awkward places already :)

I'll add more once there's more to add. In the meantime, please remember her - and all of us - in your prayers. This is tough stuff.

I read this verse this morning, and it really got me thinking...
To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
Romans 8.6

Isn't that so true? We spend so much energy worrying about ourselves, our health, our lives, our STUFF - and it's toxic. But when we're focused on the big picture and a greater meaning and purpose, it brings us life and energy and joy and freedom and PEACE - that profound and absolute God-peace that you can only understand if you've experienced it.

This week, I choose life and peace - for myself and for my family.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 05, 2008 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that scripture at the end of your blog - something I need to keep foremost in my mind every hour of every day.

Thanks Lindsay. Hope all goes well with your mom.

Margaret

 
At May 05, 2008 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto to Margaret's comment.

 
At May 06, 2008 10:39 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Thank you both...

You are wise women who I have so much love and respect for. It's kind of nice to know that - for everything I've learned from you - I'm sometimes able to contribute a little too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home