Tuesday, May 06, 2008

In Praise of Stretchy Pants

Sometime last week, I developed a little tummy... I knew it was coming, but I'm still traumatized / fascinated / enthralled / weirded out by it. I think it looks hilarious. It's this completely bizarre little lump tacked on to the bottom of my stomach. I can't stop poking at it.

On Saturday, I got totally fed up with being uncomfortable - and in all fairness, I think that Geoff was probably pushed to the point of exasperation over my near-constant bitchiness. I gave in and ventured into (insert dramatic music here)... a maternity store.

I was nervous to step inside, but it wasn't that bad. It was a great experience, actually. I chose 9 Boutique on Academy, and the girls working there were incredibly helpful and friendly and positive. They encouraged me to conquer my fear and try some stuff on... I hadn't really planned on it, because I didn't feel pregnant enough - but the other women who were shopping in the store were pretty much as knocked up as I am. And so, I got brave and I did it. I tried on (insert more dramatic music here)... stretchy fat maternity jeans.

At the insistence of the shop girls, I came out... And as I stood there and peeked into the mirror, I *may* have teared up. I just felt so COMFORTABLE. The girls laughed and said that first-time pregnant women either rush in when they're two seconds pregnant and buy up the whole store, or they wait until they're so uncomfortable in their old clothes that they're miserable - and then have a moment of absolute enlightenment when they come in and try on their first maternity clothes.

They were too expensive (I also went to a little maternity boutique versus some random mommy store at the mall, which may not have been the most cost-effective solution to my problems), but I did not care. Best money I have ever spent. Ever.

Stretchy pants are *seriously* under-rated :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At May 06, 2008 7:54 AM, Blogger gloria said...

back in the day when i was first pregnant, we just used really large men's t-shirts and tights (cause tights were hot back then). we looked amazing! i didn't discover maternity clothes until my second pregnancy, and even then they were a scarcity (sp?)brought out only for very special occassions.

 
At May 06, 2008 8:26 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

LMAO! Thanks for the smile this morning Linds.

*praying today*

 
At May 06, 2008 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby steps.....I am proud of you Linds! Can't wait to see them:)

 
At May 06, 2008 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comfort is great:) Maybe you can remember this when you experience your child's hesitation to try new things! Shalom today...

 
At May 06, 2008 6:48 PM, Blogger Danae said...

i love stretchy pants... the yoga pants from "joe" clothing (superstore) also make great maternity pants, especially the ones with the roll down thing at the waist, just leave it up and it's like panel pants! very comfy...

 
At May 10, 2008 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Confession: I still wear maternity underwear frequently, and on Saturdays I will often still sport my maternity sweat pants, and one particular black maternity sweater that is so cute I still wear it now too. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home