Saturday, April 12, 2008

(Belated) Friday Smile

So I left work *almost* on time yesterday, and Geoff wasn't getting home from work until 8ish... So I decided that I'd go and get a few things done at the mall - including a new bra, because I'm apparently busting out of everything these days, and I was tired of looking/feeling like a whore.

I went to La Senza, and one of the girls measured me and helped me find something that would work. Sounds simple, but it took probably 45 minutes. And then I went to go stand in line to pay.

There were only five or six people in front of me, but the girls working the tills were setting a record for poor, slow customer service. After 15 minutes of standing and waiting, there were still three or four people in line in front of me - and I'd reached the end of my rope.

I didn't yell or scream or throw a fit... I just very calmly stepped out of line, approached the counter, and put down my bra. 'I'm sorry. I don't have time to wait anymore. You just lost a $50 sale.' And then I turned to leave the store.

But before I could leave, I had to walk past the ten women who'd been waiting in line behind me. It started with a few of them commenting quietly, 'Good for her!' And then someone started to clap. And within a few seconds, almost all of them were clapping and cheering. And one of them threw the bra she was holding onto the counter beside my abandoned non-purchase. 'You lost my sale too. That bra cost $35.' Another woman had an armload of items, and she dumped it all on top of our bras on the counter. 'My time is worth more than this. You lost $200 on me.'

It was a revolt. A revolution. And I walked out of that store with my head held high, giggling to myself a little bit over the mess I'd created at La Senza - it felt GOOD.

At least until I woke up this morning and started to get dressed, and I realized that I don't have a single bra that fits me. And now I can't go back to La Senza. Argh :)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At April 12, 2008 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, I'm giggling uncontrollably here! I WISH I had the guts to do that. Bravo to you! Oh, that is so funny : )

 
At April 12, 2008 4:37 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Hooray for you! Oh that just put the biggest smile on my face. WELL DONE!

 
At April 12, 2008 6:18 PM, Blogger ka said...

That is hilarious. But man, if I walked out of a store every time I got crap service... Well... I'd probably never buy anything.

I recommend Diva Lingerie at Grant Park. Bras are ridiculously expensive (even little bitty ones like mine :), but at least the service is good.

 
At April 12, 2008 8:10 PM, Blogger gloria said...

good for you Lindsay, how cathardic that must have been.

(and when you sneak back in the store, could you please buy me a new one, my wire popped and its imbedded deep in my armpit)

 
At April 12, 2008 10:40 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

you rock!

 
At April 13, 2008 11:56 AM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

That's amazing! Good for you! You definitely NEED to write a book!

 
At April 13, 2008 9:27 PM, Blogger it's a gong show... said...

that is hilarious!

 
At April 13, 2008 10:54 PM, Blogger Jobina said...

Ha! I love it!

 
At April 14, 2008 9:59 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

That's a scene straight out of a movie. I do love a good revolt.

 
At April 15, 2008 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want amazing bra service, and gorgeous bras, check out the Bra Bar in St-Boniface. They have normal bras, nursing bras, masectomy bras, everything! As well, some fantastic personalized customer service. Some bras are expensive, but they fit you like a T, last forever, and they never try to upsell you or make you buy anything. I've been going there for years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home