Monday, December 10, 2007

Practice Makes Perfect

I am drafting this blog entry from a most unusual place: St Johns Ravenscourt's holiday concert. At Bethel (Geoff's church). In the library, stealing someone's open wireless connection, and trying to get some work done - all the stuff I couldn't get done for some clients because other clients kept me running around like (ready for it?) a chicken with its head cut off.

Geoff does sound tech work at his church - in fact, he's in charge of it - so every three weeks, it's his job to do sound during the morning service, and at any other event that is held at the church during the week. And today was SJR's holiday concert. So my verrrry patient husband spent all day today (beginning at 08.30) at obsessive dress rehearsal after obsessive dress rehearsal after maniacally obsessive dress rehearsal. To keep himself conscious, he actually wrote down the 'quotes of the day' overheard coming from the mouths of the teachers - too funny. And now, he's back and handling sound for the evening performance.

I can hear the concert from my hiding place, and I swear to you, I have NEVER heard such a perfect children's concert. Ever. Not one wrong note, not a missed line, not a peep as they filed onto the risers with military precision. And these are students in grades one to four!

The choir director pulled Geoff aside as soon as he arrived to warn him that, although he'd been a second or two late cuing up ONE of the songs in rehearsal, that would NOT be acceptable tonight. Tonight was to be PERFECT. And as I sit here, taking in the very last note of the very last 'grand finale' song (it was the word 'peace,' if anyone cares), I must admit - it was perfect.

But I kind of missed the crazy kids who freak out when they get on stage in front of an audience (hi mom! can you see me waving? how about now?!). And the inevitable one who hogs the mic, drowning out the entire choir behind him with their offkey impromptu solo that's muffled because the mic is halfway into their tonsils. And that kid who's always always always half a beat late with her clapping, looking absolutely clueless as she does her wavy, twinkly star finger actions while everyone else twirls.

It's what holiday concerts are all about. At least, that's what they're about in my rather charmingly imperfect, decidedly non-fancy-private-school world :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At December 11, 2007 11:42 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Oh, I so agree with you.

 
At December 11, 2007 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to know there are both kinds of concerts and that one can appreciate them both. Just imagine the precision surgeons and high court judges coming out of the kids singing in that concert:)

 
At December 11, 2007 5:41 PM, Blogger gloria said...

I agree too! Hopefully we will be treated to someone picking their nose or lifting their skirt during the WOL Christmas performance. Cross fingers that we can see BOTH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home