Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Saying Goodbye

Yesterday was an incredibly sad day. Two friends who are very important to me lost their mom last week, and yesterday we all had a chance to say goodbye.

It was a beautiful service at the church, and then the burial and reception. I spent all day choking back those tears that just leave your chest in a giant knot and your stomach turning. We were asked to sing seven songs at the funeral service, and even the practices were hard. Making it through those songs with the family in our sight - without falling apart completely - was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I know it was just a shadow of the pain they were feeling, and that really kept it in perspective. It was an honour to do it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if she asked. It's a small gift to one of the strongest and most loyal, generous people I've ever met. I work every day to be just a little bit more like Kathy. The stories about her mom were incredible, and it's so obvious where her daughter's strength, her grace, and her spunk come from.

Please keep this family in your prayers. They're going to need them today - and in the coming days, weeks, months, years.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At August 01, 2007 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift you and the other singers gave to your friends despite your own grief. Bless you and them.

 
At August 01, 2007 10:12 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I only found out today who's funeral it was. It's so very heartbreaking. Kathy is such a sweet girl and I pray God gives her and her family the strength they need to continue on. What a blessing and wonderful thing for you to sing there. I'm sure it was much appreciated! (((Hugs)))

 
At August 02, 2007 2:33 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I agree. And although I didn't know her mom, I felt like I did after the service. Beautiful tributes to what was obviously a beautiful person.

And now I know where Kathy gets her beautiful voice and love for all things sparkly from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home