Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekend Update: Colour & Culture Edition

Totally one of those weekends that was more exhausting than being at work. Where to begin?...

On Thursday after work, I stopped at the bridal shop and chose my veil. They seemed to find it slightly strange that I came on my own, but were super helpful and friendly as usual. I wasn't sold on the whole traditional veil idea, but the one I found is really simple and beautiful. I worry about hurting people's feelings by doing some of this stuff on my own, but it's sometimes easier for me - a way to ensure I'm making decisions for me and not based on what I think other people like or want.

After the veil pit stop (now there's an interesting phrase), I picked up Geoff and we went to go pick paint for the house, then had a dinner experience I'm choosing to ignore for that. It should suffice to say that it was one of those absolutely horrific customer service stories that should become a cautionary tale.

On Friday after work, Rocky met me at the house and we spent Friday evening and ALL day on Saturday up to our elbows in paint. Well, I had paint all the way up to my elbows. Rocky was pretty much spotless, professional that he is. Annoying - LOL. Anyway. At the end of Saturday, the office/library was a gorgeous dark grey (previously white), the bedroom was a perfect light icy blue (previously a kind of annoying and slightly slutty red), and the kitchen was EXACTLY the bold leafy green I'd been picturing in my head (previously white). I love all three. It's really starting to feel like a home here - and I'm excited to make it all official next month.

In between, I managed a migraine of epic proportions - my first, and hopefully my last. I experienced the full nausea, the vision loss, everything. It made for an interesting, zombie-like day of painting on Saturday. More than once, I was so incredibly grateful for Rocky's help. He pretty much just bossed me around, giving me the really easy jobs, and it turned out great!

After Painting Day was over (and Geoff had come home from work and helped with the kitchen), we had a movie date to see 'The Bourne Ultimatum' (FUN, and pretty much all I could manage without literally collapsing). Sunday morning, I was singing so we went to church in Niverville. Sunday afternoon, we ran a few errands and I worked from home a little bit. And then this evening, we met up with Rocky and Emily to check out a little bit of Folklorama.

We went to the Japanese pavilion first, where we sampled teryaki chicken and rice, sushi, green tea and mango martinis, and cream puff ice cream while we took in performances by Japanese fan dancers and a great drumming group.

The second pavilion we visited was the Alpine pavilion, and it was great. Very interactive, and the people there were CRAZY! It was so much fun to watch them having so much fun. And the apple strudel and Swiss chocolate were yummy :)

And that's that - the end of another weekend. Whew.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 13, 2007 9:55 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Sounds like a great weekend (minus the migraine). Wish I could have been there helping you paint! Let's have a date soon, okay? I miss you.

 
At August 13, 2007 12:58 PM, Blogger gloria said...

I love (!) color on walls. Adore it! Can't say enough about it to promote it.

We used to live in an "eggshell" house too, for yearsss, and then finally, 3 years later, painted it in terracotta and deep yellows.. I refuse to go back to a white house ever again.

Sorry about the migraine. My poor lil gaffer A had one this weekend too. Pain-Puke-Pass Out, that is how HIS go!

Might have something to do with the toxic paint fumes you were inhaling?

 
At August 13, 2007 1:48 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Erin - Oh believe me, I wish you'd been there to help too! It was a huge project... And incredibly daunting to choose all the colours. I thought of you often this weekend! Glad you had so much fun at the lake :)

Gloria - I KNOW. After so many years of 'rental white-ish' walls, it's great to surround myself with a little bit of colour. The only spaces in the house that are still white are the bathroom, the entrance, and the basement. It's fascinating to me how certain people gravitate toward certain colours and tones. I love oranges and yellows and reds in other people's homes, but I have always chosen cool colours in my own spaces. I wonder why that is?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home