Monday, March 19, 2007

Changing

I met a friend for coffee this weekend. I actually smile as I write that, because I feel so fortunate to call her a friend. I hadn't seen her in a long time - a lifetime that, in lots of ways, felt like a moment. It's amazing to me how very much people can change, without losing the very core of the beautiful person they've always been.

Change can happen over the course of decades and centuries - so slowly that you don't even notice it happening. It can also happen in a moment, like the moment you discover that someone in your life has moved on to the next. Too many people I love experienced that change this past week, and my heart breaks for them. Please send your thoughts and prayers (whatever's more your style) in the direction of Niverville this week. There are so many tears in my hometown tonight, and I pray for comfort and healing and hope.

Change can be incredibly painful. In fact, it usually is. But it's one of those oddities of life that - through this pain - something beautiful is born. Something that could not have existed without it.

The sun very surely begins to melt away the ice and snow. As one family is broken, I watch friends enjoying the exhaustion of new motherhood. Old relationships pass away as new ones blossom and grow.

And sometimes, if you're very lucky, a relationship that had long been buried under the snow begins to peek its fresh green leaves up towards the sun.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At March 20, 2007 10:36 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm all verklempt! That was a beautiful post, Lindsay. And thank you for the wonderful time on Saturday. It was truly special and I'm glad to see that the reasons we were friends in the first place remain. You are a wonderful woman and it's great to see all that God has done in your life. I'm blessed to have you back!

 
At March 20, 2007 10:41 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Oh, now I'm crying too! Happy tears.

(I'm assuming that 'verklempt' means something like that... :)

 
At March 21, 2007 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you two connected again! makes me wish i could have coffee with both of you, either together or separately.....maybe some day....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home