Monday, August 28, 2006

Smiles Everywhere

So, inspired by my perusal of Improv Everywhere on Saturday morning, I decided to conduct a little social experiment. For the entire rest of the day on Saturday, I was deliberately nice and friendly to everyone I met. This list included:
(1) the receptionist at my chiropractor's office
(2) the kid who pumped my gas
(3) the person on the phone at the hair place
(4) the lady in Safeway who was blocking the entire aisle

Very interesting. Would you believe that people actually help you more and work more quickly when you're nice to them?! I'm generally a pretty nice girl, but I'll admit to rolling my eyes and checking my watch and getting sarcastic when someone is annoying me. (And I always thought I was speeding things along by doing those things.) I found that my errands took the exact same amount of time they always do, but I got to hear about how the receptionist had been at their cabin at Gull Lake during the tornado and she told me some really cool stories about how all the neighbours worked together during the clean-up. The kid who pumped my gas actually offered to check all my tires because one of them looked low. The girl at the hair salon actually laughed and chatted with me, and managed to get me an appointment on Tuesday (which is ridiculously fast). And the Safeway lady... Well, she was a total bitch, but you can't save the world.

I'm not committing to being super-nice ALL the time. But it's something to think about :)

L

1 Comments:

At August 28, 2006 4:41 PM, Blogger ka said...

Yeah, but you had to be nice to other people. How much fun could that have been? And they talked back to you? Yuck. Give me a sneer and a glare any day. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home