Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Today's Special: Smoked Tuna on Green

So. Today's attendance at Humpday Breakfast was SLIGHTLY better than our last attempt. We'll keep working on it. Rocky, Bethany, and Geoff were all there with bright sunshiny morning smiles. Emily and Kathy were there, but I won't comment on their level of alertness or happiness.

We had the most unenthusaistic waiter in the history of the restaurant business today, and I couldn't stop laughing at him... I wanted to just poke him in the stomach til he showed some sign of life. Oh, and guess what. Last week, we all ordered a pretty typical diner-style breakfast and paid 7 or 8 dollars for it. Today, this guy tells us we can order the 'Breakfast Special' (which was exactly the same, just with an extra egg) for 2.99. Crazy. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

I did a good deed today and introduced Chuck to the wonder and magic that is 'Tide to Go.' Which reminded me of the Seinfeld rerun I watched last night, where Elaine is listing off the things that make her a good person - including not staring at freaks on the street and not doing her hair really poofy when she's going to see a movie. It's a good list.

L

PS - Speaking of high school memories... We got talking about lockers yesterday (after I saw a story in the Free Press about all the nifty accessories you can get now that SO did not exist when I was in high school) and I remembered my Grade 11 locker. It was next to this weird kid whose locker smelled like cheese (why do so many random things seem to smell like cheese?), gym socks, smoke, and moldy tuna sandwiches. After bitching at him - and petitioning the principal - I finally took matters into my own hands and taped all the little air holes between our lockers shut. A few weeks later, the drug-sniffing dogs were in the school and they started barking like crazy outside his locker. I'm sure the principal was excited about the idea of taking down a pot-loving student. But the dogs just wanted the moldy sandwich. And when they opened that door to investigate... Well, wouldn't you know, the principal actually supervised the locker's clean-up after school that same day.

11 Comments:

At August 23, 2006 3:40 PM, Blogger ka said...

You got more food for half the money? And you still can't get people to come out to Humpday Breakfast? I tell ya, if I didn't live in Winkler... Actually I'm not sure if attending Humpday Breakfast would be atop my list of things to do if I didn't live in Winkler. But I'd definitely have it on there. Somewhere.

 
At August 23, 2006 4:41 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

You don't know what you're missing. I think you're just jealous. All we need is better marketing.

L

 
At August 23, 2006 6:20 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

I'm with Kari-ann - unsure if Humpday Brekkie would be worth if even if I didn't live in the other Mennonite mecca. Okay, do I live in "yantzied" or does Kari-ann? Twould be nice to know....it almost keeps me awake at night!
I am impressed with the price though - it's that Menno upbringing seeping out.

 
At August 24, 2006 8:45 AM, Blogger ka said...

I think Winkler is the buckle of the Bible Belt. Steinbach is saved by the number of commuters from Winnipeg - they increase the non-Menno population during business hours. But Steinbach is definitely second on the list, and it would be a tough call evenings and weekends. How prevalent are MnMs in Steinbach (Mexican Mennos for Linds' thousand of non-Menno blog readers)? Hmm. Maybe we've got you beat either way. :)

 
At August 24, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I think Kari-Ann is right. Did you see the story in the Free Press yesterday about Winkler schools and their violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms? Steinbach was very quick to point out that their forced Bible readings and prayers every morning are MUCH more constitutional than those backwards folks in Winkler ;)

L

 
At August 24, 2006 10:06 AM, Blogger ka said...

Ugh. My favourite part of that whole Free Press story yesterday was the reaction in town... Everyone was quick to point out that a "number of stakeholders" were involved in the process so it shouldn't be questioned. And they said that the Free Press is totally sensational when it comes to stuff like that. Yeah, that's the problem. Nothing to do with the whole ignoring the whole "mandatory separation of church and state" thing.

 
At August 24, 2006 11:48 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

It's such a touchy issue... I offended a few people when I - as a Christian in the Education field - refused to recite the Lord's Prayer with my class. Instead, we had 60 seconds of silence for 'personal reflection.' Which I considered to be a solution that everyone could be happy with.

Then again, I also didn't go to Bible School. And look what the 'evil' university taught me to think! So I'm probably going to hell anyway.

L

 
At August 24, 2006 5:38 PM, Blogger ka said...

Peer pressure is a tough thing, and by having "everyone else" doing it, aren't you just creating the opposite sort of pressure? Isn't religion supposed to be something really personal between you and the god of your choosing?

Then again, what do I know. I'm a unitarian living in the Buckle of the Mennonite Bible Belt. :)

 
At August 24, 2006 11:42 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

god OR goddess ;)

L

 
At August 25, 2006 8:46 AM, Blogger ka said...

See, in trying not to be offensive (note that I didn't capitalize the "G"), I end up offending just as easily. And we wonder why people fight wars using religion as the reason. :)

 
At August 25, 2006 9:13 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

So eloquently put. You'd think you majored in English or something :)

Incidentally, this English major found her opinion on the subject highlighted in the Free Press this morning...

L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home