Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Tiny Resolution

It's probably not a huge surprise that I'm less than loving this whole reduced-income thing in the aftermath of that whole pre-holiday job loss thing. The part that's bothering me the most? As the person who provides 'bonus' income into our family's finances, I was The Savings Person. And you know what's been decimated? The account that holds some funds for vacations + trips out to the west coast. It did its job and got us to NYC and back, with virtually the entire trip pre-paid. But it's in a sorry state right now, and IT'S HAUNTING ME.

I read a fabulous little tip on TodaysParent.com this week and implemented it immediately. It's super simple... Every time you login to your online banking, take a look at your primary account balance and then transfer the amount that would round that down to the nearest 5 or 10 into a savings account. So if your account had $11.75 in it, you'd move $1.75 into savings and have a new balance of $10. You'll never move more than $5 at a time - not enough to even notice that it's gone (unless you're the unfortunate soul in my example there... he should probably hang onto that pocket change for food).

It's not much, but it has the potential to seriously accumulate. It's not getting us back to NYC anytime soon... But it's helping me feel like I'm doing SOMETHING.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At January 05, 2011 4:39 PM, Anonymous Sherri said...

That is an excellent tip! :)

 
At January 06, 2011 2:49 PM, Blogger Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

That's a super neat idea - I think I'm going to do that! Thanks!!

XO
Lenore

 

Post a Comment

<< Home