Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The One Where I Curse Marshall McLuhan

I've lived nearly 29 years - all of them in Canada and one third of them as a professional communicator - without reading Marshall McLuhan's classic Understanding Media. I had to tackle a decent chunk of it for the course I'm taking, and I can now say that I could have happily lived another 50 or 60 years without reading it. Those epic 'the medium is the message' quotes are practically all that makes sense in this odd, rambling masterpiece.

It reminds me of required reading for my philosophy course in university. And not in a good way (because there is no good way). I'm taking most of my ideas from a combination of the forward to the book and Wikipedia. Whatever happened to Coles Notes? :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home