Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tears of Joy

OH MY WORD have I ever been emotional this weekend. (I can sense electronically that you're planning some smartass 'maybe you're pregnant' comment. I hope you can also feel me kicking you electronically? Did it hurt? Really? Well, I meant it to.)

My official diagnosis is:
all the normal 'my baby is walking and becoming independent' emotions
+
all the normal 'SO PROUD of my baby' emotions
+
some extra little 'PHEW! there's nothing wrong with her' emotions
+
tiny little 'sad that I missed it' emotions
+
bigger little 'can't believe Geoff still hasn't seen it' emotions
+
EXHAUSTION

We were *so* ready for her to walk (obviously). But I'm still mourning the loss of our baby girl, while wrapping my head around the idea of having a little girl living here with us. Oh, and trying to keep her awake for another hour past her bedtime so that Geoff can hopefully see her in action tonight still.

It's shocking how quickly she's progressing in her walking ability. I don't know anything about baby development, but I guess it was to be expected - she's not like an eight month old who flukes into figuring it out. Briony doesn't do anything until she's ready. It's not her style. But WOW, was she ever ready now!

This mommy thing is a ride, isn't it? I knew it, and I expected it, but I keep on being surprised by the intensity of it all. There are so many different kinds of tears. But at their very core, they are all tears of joy.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At April 11, 2010 8:33 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

What 8 month old walks? That's just crazy talk. Find me an 8 month old that walks and I'll show you that same kid at B's age who can't say half the words she can because they've been doing the physical growing - while she's been doing the mental growing. NOW who's ahead of the game :) Just sayin' ;)

Can't wait to see her in action tomorrow! Palmer is gonna get a kick out of it!

 
At April 11, 2010 10:02 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Nicole - I seriously know a few... Which is why the 'normal' range is so very big. I'm sure that B will love to show off her new skills for you tomorrow :)

 
At April 11, 2010 10:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Next up - peeing on the potty and sleeping in a big girl bed. And then you can REALLY mourn the loss of you baby girl. Because mine is GONE. GONE. GONE. And she's the first one to tell you that.

Oh - and a girl out here had a kid crawling at like 5 months and walking soon after. RIDICULOUS. Then there was mine who really never crawled, but now thinks it's HILARIOUS to crawl and inform everyone that she is crawling. Baby development is totally funny. I wonder if the people who write books on what's "normal" get bazillions of letters of stories from parents disputing what they write (even with all "normal isn't the same for every baby" disclaimers they include)...

 
At April 13, 2010 10:49 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

KA - I don't know... How many letters have you written so far? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home