Monday, March 01, 2010

Slow, Deep Breaths

I'm a nervous patient at the best of times. My hospital charts would tell quite a story already - a story that involves lots of sedatives and one particular incident involving scissors and some other objects being thrown at a doctor (he totally deserved it).

I was doing a pretty good job at maintaining some semblance of zen right up until my pre-op appointment this morning when I met The World's Worst Anesthetist. He's not even the one assigned to my surgery in the morning, but I'm scared to death about what he wrote in my chart today. He basically lead me to believe that:
1. I won't be receiving my special request to have my IV started by my anesthetist instead of some random day surgery nurse (I have terrible veins and the last time I let just anyone try - while in labour with Briony - I ended up with blown veins in BOTH my arms). Not cool.
2. Because of some issues with my jaw (the same TMJ issues I've had for the last ten years and have never complicated anesthesia before), he thinks it might be safest to have me gag down a breathing tube while I'm awake rather than do it after I'm asleep. Are you freaking kidding me?! That sounds like the precise definition of my worst nightmare.

I ended up having a panic attack in his office, tears and hyperventilation and everything. I have since spoken with my surgeon's receptionist, who has assured me that my concerns have been heard and that we will talk about it tomorrow at the hospital and it will all be okay... But I've been on the verge of tears ever since. I already felt like this situation was quite outside of my control. Now it feels like it's gone absolutely wild, and I HATE THAT FEELING.

Have I mentioned that Geoff is getting sick? Of course.

Well, in about 15 hours or so, there will be nothing I can do about it anymore. I just need to survive those 15 hours. Now if you'll excuse me, there's a bottle of wine with my name on it.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At March 01, 2010 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad is an anesthetist and he's told me before that if a nurse cannot get your IV started that you can ask for an anesthetist to do it. Whether they will or not all depends if one is available. It's your body and you have every right to make requests or to refuse things. Sorry that guy was so nasty, that sure doesn't make things easier on you!
-Jobina

 
At March 01, 2010 7:48 PM, Blogger Playful Peanut said...

We would totally pack up and come play with Baby B, or clean your house, or cook something for you to help, but I've got a sick little girl with some wicked eye infection...

So, I guess to show my support, I will sit in Elm Creek and drink a glass of wine for you tonight and think happy thoughts. :)

 
At March 01, 2010 7:58 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Bless the receptionist and hopefully the anesthetist will be a wonder.

Praying anyway.

 
At March 01, 2010 10:20 PM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

My prayers are with you.

 
At March 02, 2010 8:25 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

For those of you checking for an update, and are wondering how your prayers were answered - Lindsay had an absolutely wonderful anesthetist this morning and everything went according to plan without any drama. IV was done in the OR and successful first try. Breathing tube was done after she was out and not awake without any trouble. She is recovering with expected pain, some lingering nausea but in good spirits, at least when I took her baby away at 3:30. Have a good night, Lindsay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home