Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Sooner You Learn It

As a child, I learned not to complain about things not being fair. Why? Because anytime that any one of us would utter that particular f-word in our house, my parents would automatically begin their (annoying) recitation: Life isn't fair. And the sooner you learn it, the better off you'll be.

Fast forward, oh, around three decades or so. Turns out they were right.

How annoying.

This week, I'm fighting the 'no fairs' hardcore. See, Geoff is working pretty much every day this week (and 'work' for him means incredibly long days - he didn't get to see B at all today, which totally breaks my heart). The thing is, I'm working too. Or trying to. I have a pile of client deadlines + my major project for the course I've been taking due this weekend. But I'm still responsible to watch B while he's at work, to make dinner, to keep the house quasi-presentable... And then during nap times or once B is in bed, I'm putting in more than full time hours on my *real* work (or is it the other way around?).

It is really freaking unfair. But I'm also totally aware that it falls into that life category of GET OVER IT. This is just our life right now. And it's really not *that* bad. (Ask me again when my alarm goes tomorrow morning.)

THANK GOD for Katie this week. I was able to spend a lot of the last two days working on non-domestic stuff. Without that, I would have been sunk. Or at least more sleep deprived than I already am... And as it is, last night was totally one of those nights where I fell asleep with my laptop on the couch at some point waaaay beyond midnight. Blech. The only thing worse than those nights are the mornings when you wake up on the couch with your laptop.

Anyway. I'm calling it a night. I'm too tired to be productive anymore, and wise enough to identify that I'd only be wasting my time and frustrating myself if I tried to keep on going. HOORAY for a new day tomorrow. I'm taking part of the morning off to go hang out at my Moms Group. Productive? Not really. But important.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At November 26, 2009 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 26, 2009 1:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hm...so more on topic...(not that there is anything wrong with uggs)

My parents owned a vet clinic when I was little. My dad was the only veterinarian for our rather large farming community, which meant he was on call 24/7. When I was about 7 he sold the practice, and became an elk farmer. Any way, all I'm getting at is that I do remember the mornings before school when my brother and I had to be very quiet because dad was out all night pulling calves, but mostly I remember the tickle fights, the stories, the whisker rubs, snow ball fights, and learning to tie my shoe laces. I don't know what it would have been like to have had a dad who was around all the time, or that I actually saw every day, but the dad I have loved/loves me very much, and I knew that. I know that shiftwork is not exactly like being on call 24/7, so maybe this is not as on topic as I thought it would be.

Briony is the sweetest little girl, and she absolutely loves and adores BOTH of her parents, no matter what else is going on. When she looks back on her life, it will be the days when Geoff was home and put the Christmas tree up, read stories, tickled or cuddled with her that will stick out.

No guarantees of course, but from experience I think it'll work out that way.

 
At November 26, 2009 2:52 PM, Blogger ka said...

Yeah, what's up with the Ugg boots??

Anyhow. I am married to a man who has three full-time jobs: father/husband, farmer and construction worker. If only the order I had listed them was the order in which they paid the bills...

A bunch of my girlfriends out here have started a boot camp, and I had a pity-me fest about it (over boot camp... seriously... I think it's a sign of my age :). I can't, because my husband is gone 10 days, home 4. Which means I can't sneak out of the house at 6:30 when everyone is stil asleep and be home for breakfast. I'd have to find a babysitter to come to my house at such a tragic hour - and they'd have to have a license because I can't wake my baby to go and get the sitter at 6 am. So I regretfully declined the invite, and now sleep in until 8:30 while they work off their behinds (which, I admit, isn't horrible :).

I hear ya, honey. But my honey is on his way home tonight, and has three days of fun planned with his girls (did someone say "getting the Christmas tree?!"). And I know that on Saturday and Sunday while I'm doing my thing to attempt to make a few extra bucks, my hubby will be giving his baby girl 100% in his attempt to do his thing to keep the family on the priority list.

 
At November 26, 2009 4:04 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Now I deleted the weird Uggs thing and you both look CRAZY... hehe.

Thanks, girls. I know in my heart that you're both right.

Kari-Ann, I *so* hear you about the bootcamp thing. My little meltdown was over early morning hot yoga. I would love to sign up for ANYTHING regular, but I eventually found a yoga class that's drop in. I haven't been able to drop in for a couple of weeks now, but I'm totally set on going tomorrow while I can. I know it's better than nothing... But I think the Type A in both of us craves a life that's a little more structured sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home