Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Where's The Beef?

Will someone PLEASE tell me what they've done to my baby Briony? Seriously. It is ridiculous how much this girl has grown up in the last couple of weeks.

This week's most recent example:

I'm not allowed to feed her anymore. She'll take a few spoons full of whatever I'm offering - cereal, yogurt, fruit puree, whatever - and then she's seriously done. Like clamping her lips together or removing what's in her mouth via fingers or tongue. Awesome. So we're instantly scrambling to come up with a menu of finger foods - because she will HAPPILY feed herself.

Um, what's up with that?

Oh, and apparently, we like beef. Like realllly like beef. What? May I remind you that you - dear Briony - dislike all meat in all its forms?

It's getting kind of hard to keep up. And I'm extra motivated to TRY to keep up because we found out at her twelve month appointment today that she hasn't really gained any weight at all since her last appointment in August. Her height's holding steady at the 90th percentile, but we've dropped from around 90 to around 50 in weight. Again, WHAT? She's been eating like a champ until this past week. I'm assured that it's nothing to worry about - and I know about the one-year plateau and increased calorie burning now that she's a monkey and all of that - but she's picked a heck of a time to decide to get picky with her food. Doesn't she know she has a Type A mama? I'm fighting temptation to sneak into her room while she's napping and jam food inside her cheeks in an attempt to get her back up at the top of those stupid little graphs - and then give myself a gold star.

So that's what's going on here. And now I must go chop stuff for my daughter's dinner.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At November 24, 2009 7:45 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Is she at all interested in taking the spoon and dipping in herself? Or dipping pieces of food in yogurt/fruit puree, etc.? Yup, it's way messier:)

 
At November 24, 2009 11:50 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Could you feel my shudder all the way out in Abbotsford? :)

 
At November 25, 2009 12:44 AM, Blogger Tannis said...

Haa ha. Not laughing at your expense, they're all such monkeys. The mess is entertaining but gets old. Ezra pulled the independent eating early but got GOOD at it really fast (um, when he wants to anyway).

Ivy didn't gain a pound between 1 and 2 years old. She was very healthy.

 
At November 25, 2009 12:50 AM, Blogger ka said...

Kids are weird. I don`t think Scarlett even made it to a year before she quit letting me feed her. And what she LOVED one day she hated the next. But since her mother is a mind-reader, it was all good (HEAVY on the sarcasm, and sorry to report that at 18 months we`re not much better in this department).

For what it`s worth, it took Scarlett basically until she was 1 to get above he 5th percentile for weight. Suddenly she was in the 35th or something and I thought my doctor was going to throw her a parade. You do get over the weight thing. In fact, I couldn`t tell you the last time I had her weighted... Maybe July. We`re due but apparently 18 month vaccinations are on hold because our health care providers are too busy with this stupid H1N1 stuff. Super thrilled about that...

 
At November 25, 2009 10:36 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Tannis - It's always so good to know that other people have been RIGHT HERE before, and sailed through :)

KA - Have I told you lately how much I *love* that you are experiencing all of this one baby step ahead of me? It's a great deal. For me, of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home