Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Freelance Update

So it's been a little while since I checked in and provided an update on my little 'going rogue' project.

Well, my little project is turning into a big project - in a good way. With minimal effort, I have secured a pretty impressive little client list in a ridiculously short amount of time. It seems that word travels quickly in this town, and it feels *so* good when people call ME instead of me needing to chase them down and convince them that I'm awesome (kind of my worst fear in all of this). Of course, I'm always open to new clients and projects - but I'm almost officially busy with what I have.

The projects I'm working on are a secret for now, but they're covering everything from straight-up magazine journalism to coordinating public relations campaigns to writing websites and print ads and radio scripts... It's a little bit of everything, which is exactly how I like it.

And it's making me really happy. I missed doing this. And in lots of ways, it's even better than what I used to do because I'm actually getting to do the work - the actual guts of sitting down and writing something. The last couple of years were packed full of meetings and strategy sessions, and I'd assign writing projects to someone else and then stay up half the night marking up drafts and proofs and providing ideas and direction for the next day and the next round of proofs and drafts that I'd review the next night... All good stuff, but I didn't realize until now that I was missing being the one who actually got to write it all in the first place.

Anyway. I should really be working now... This week took a wicked turn and I'm now moving in at my aunt and uncle's house for a couple of days to take care of their kids - which will be making me an instant mother of four. Yikes! Probably not especially conducive to getting my work done, but it should be fun... Right?

(This is the part where you all lie to me :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At November 04, 2009 8:09 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

I've heard of 'stepping outside of the box', but you're doing it in style - busy++. Great that your business is going well:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home