Friday, October 30, 2009

On Multitasking

Have I mentioned lately how BUSY it's been around here?

It's all good stuff (well, mostly good stuff). There's just a heck of a lot of it. And it's not that I'm not used to being busy - you don't spend years and years working in advertising agencies without thriving on it. But every once in a while, you need a weekend. And it turns out that 'weekend' is a concept that must be deleted from my hard drive, at least until Briony is significantly older.

If there's anything I've learned about multitasking over the years, it's this: ONE THING AT A TIME. If you try to tackle too many things at once, you're not going to do a good (or efficient) job at any of them.

I'm just trying to figure out how this applies to someone who's simultaneously attempting to be a wife/mom, go to school, and start a business. Because I'm sure as heck trying to do well at all of those things.

But lists are my friends. So are calendars. And so are my friends (yeah, I said it) - because I've cancelled on SO MANY of them lately. You know who you are, and I love you. I loved you before, but I love you extra for loving me enough to let these things slide sometimes.

The craziest part is that I find myself wishing for just one more good client... The past two weeks have been great, and if we can sustain something close to this, I'll be a happy girl. But it's all just so very unpredictable.

Yes, the girl who chose to go freelance just complained about unpredictability.

Yes, she realizes how stupid that is.

No, she doesn't want to edit this post. She stands by what she wrote (typed).

And maybe she should go do something else for a bit. This third person blogging thing is getting kind of weird.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At October 30, 2009 8:13 PM, Blogger Kristen Loewen said...

oh, do i understand where you're coming from! i've been feeling particularly frustrated with the whole "to do" list, one for each part of my life.
maybe it's just october and things will magically be better on sunday....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home