Thursday, December 04, 2008

Things I Love About My Baby

Briony is getting more and more alert. She's been very observant since she was born, but she's really starting to respond to the world around her and focus on objects and things going on in the room. Every day, she spends more and more time awake and happy (rather than eating or sleeping). It's so fun to watch her face as she takes it all in with those big, dark eyes of hers.

Our half-asleep feeding sessions. If you remove the bottle from her mouth for any reason, she'll just start moving her head around with her lips slightly parted - not bothering to open her eyes and actually look for the bottle, and too princess-like to actually open her mouth and make an effort to continue her meal. But god forbid you take too long to insert the nipple into her mouth for her... This girl can certainly fuss (read: scream loudly and dramatically, as if you've been starving her for a week).

My baby is a cuddler, as per my express request when I was pregnant with her. It's occasionally inconvenient when there are so many things you could be accomplishing if both your arms weren't full of baby, but I wouldn't change this part of her personality for the world. She's my little snuggle bug, and she's *always* happier in our arms than any other place.

Briony is such a happy baby. We've been having some trouble with her current formula and we're trying out something new as of this afternoon to help her digest it a little more easily. She'll cry and let us know that she's sometimes uncomfortable, but even when she's obviously having a rough day, I'd say her total crying time is still well under an hour - and it's never crying just for the sake of it. She'll sometimes fuss for a minute or two if she doesn't like something that's happening, but she gets over it so quickly (if she escalated at all). I am so incredibly grateful, and I'm hoping that she'll stay this easy-going. It's giving me the sleep and the lack of stress I need to be able to slowly get back on my feet. At this point, I would like to officially thank Geoff, because I know that her easy-going-ness has absolutely nothing to do with me. I'll take *all* the credit for her moments of full-on drama, though. And that single incredible shriek she lets out when you've frustrated her. Sigh.

Briony is the baby with a thousand nicknames. I'm sure that, as she gets older, we'll settle on one or two. She was usually either Monkey or Princess when I was pregnant with her, before we knew that she would be Briony. She's been Princess a few times since she was born, but she's not Monkey. She just isn't - it doesn't fit her at all. So what is she? She's always my Snuggle Bug. She's my Sunshine. She's sometimes simply B. Lately, she's sometimes been George (as in Curious George). Oh, and occasionally (but always affectionately) she's Milk Breath. Our family in Kamloops has dubbed her Baby B. But she's undeniably Briony, which is very cool to me.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At December 04, 2008 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that she is so content. What a blessing for you.

 
At December 05, 2008 1:37 AM, Blogger sherri said...

I know it will be awhile before I get back to the peg, but I still can't wait to meet her. Congrats Linds, she is a beautiful little girl :)

 
At December 05, 2008 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sounds amazing Linds!! When hockey land is less busy I am coming down to snuggle her! In the meantime can we get a picture or what? I was reading this thinking that Lindsay would for sure include a picture at the end of such a great post.......next one?

 
At December 05, 2008 10:21 AM, Blogger Elleah said...

That's so great that she's a happy baby! Kiera screamed for hours every day, so that was really really stressful and hard to deal with. Thankfully that phase didn't last forever.

 
At December 05, 2008 11:13 AM, Blogger Amber said...

HA! Milk Breath just made *almost* spit out my coffee.

And you know what I realized? I never even held her when I met her! :(

 
At December 05, 2008 12:58 PM, Blogger Charlene said...

that's awesome! i am so happy for you guys...and no worries...it just keeps on getting better and better... :-)

 
At December 05, 2008 5:10 PM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

Have you tried Nestle GoodStart formula? That's the one the pediatrician recommended to us for Carter. It's easier on their tummies.

 
At December 06, 2008 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going good. We had kinda the same problem with Cassius and finding him the right formula. We ended up using Presidents Choice Organic Formula (superstore). We did lots of research on it, just cuz there are so many out there that it's hard to figure out which is the best. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home