Friday, November 21, 2008

Life With Baby

So tonight marks a week since I went into labour - the fastest week of my life, no question.

In so many ways, Briony is still a stranger to us. In so many other ways, I can recognize the baby I got to know as I carried her for nine (TEN!) months - the way her hands are always up to her face like in her ultrasound pictures, her incredibly strong kicks, and her active-at-night schedule. We're getting to know each other. And I have to say, I love her so much more than I ever imagined possible.

It helps that she's *so* ridiculously cute :)

It's definitely New Mom Central over here, and it's been a bumpy ride. I have a laundry list of things I need to heal from after the labour and delivery we had, plus all the regular new mom stuff, plus I'm experiencing a definite flare-up of arthritis symptoms. And, um, have I mentioned a double case of mastitis? Yeah. Too much information? Whatever. The public health nurse has *ordered* me to find a walk-in clinic tomorrow morning. Because that's so easy to do with a newborn. Sigh.

If you think of our little family, please send a prayer our way. We're loving being parents, but I'm finding it very difficult to deal with the intense disappointment of a flare-up and so many complications that are making it hard to take care of myself - never mind a new baby who needs me. Thank god for Geoff, who's been amazing and helping out SO much. It helps to know that it can only get easier.



My mom took this picture the other day. I was feeding Briony, and for some reason she decided to wrap her feet around my arm... It was the most adorable thing ever.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At November 21, 2008 11:25 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Praying for you Lindsay. Briony will love you even if you're not perfect. :)

 
At November 22, 2008 9:52 AM, Blogger Elleah said...

You're right, it does only get easier! That newborn stage was extremely hard for me. Somebody told me if I could get through the first 3 months then things would be better after that and that was true with Kiera.

 
At November 22, 2008 9:59 AM, Blogger Jolene said...

Lindsay..I'll be praying for you. I totally remember how hard it was to look after myself AND a little baby. The public health nurse told me to take 2-3 hot baths a day, the doctor gave me some junk to take, and then there were a million things to remember with Trinity. I remember wondering whether the doctors and nurses had ever really had their own babies because there surely is not enough time or energy in a day to have THREE baths...one is a big accomplishment. The healing part sucks so much(especially those stitches!) I will be thinking and praying for you. I remember thinking my body would never heal...but it did. God sure makes babies so ridiculously cute so there are moments when all the other hurts melt away.

 
At November 22, 2008 11:25 AM, Blogger Karla said...

Can I offer a little "peri-care" tip for you from me (a complete stranger)? I like to call it the "Dip and Blow"... it comes courtesy of my midwife and it worked wonders after all three of my deliveries. Take the freaking hottest bath you can handle - uber hot. THEN, take your blow dryer and as hot as you can handle that, blow it in the, um, area that needs healing for as long as you want to. Sounds corny, and simple, but I'll tell you, it feels so much better. Trust me, try the infamous "Dip and Blow" and you'll not be dissapointed. :)

It really does get easier. Imagine how much you'll love this when you're all healed up and feeling good. From what I can tell, you're a trooper! Allow yourself whatever you need to get through the day.

 
At November 22, 2008 11:35 AM, Blogger karina said...

oh lindsay, you will make it but those first few months are HARD. not to mention dealing with your arthritis. even getting past the first two weeks was a big milestone for me when things started to get a little easier. get as much rest as you can, take baths, don't try to go anywhere you don't have to. you're allowed to be a hermit for awhile :)

 
At November 22, 2008 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such good advice and encouragement. Try to remember that you and Briony are all you have to do for now. Delegate everything else to whoever/whatever. Mastitis will take you down a few pegs for a day or two so rest. That, too, shall pass.

 
At November 22, 2008 5:15 PM, Blogger ka said...

Oh, I love the pic. Scarlett went through a phase where she would take her hands and brush them back and forth on my, um, "feeder" ;) while she nursed. I always said it reminded me of a kitten.

I loved how Scarlett was so alike inside and out. And how her ultrasound picture just looked exactly like her - still has that cute little nose and those big feet!

CANNOT wait to meet her. Beginning of the week. I'll maybe try to call you tomorrow...

 
At November 23, 2008 9:47 PM, Blogger gloria said...

heel pricks are cruel :(

praying for you and yours

 
At November 24, 2008 3:19 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Praying for you and your new little family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home