Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Things No One Warned Me About: 'Practice' Contractions

So my Week 34 appointment today was pretty uneventful, other than getting my papers to start seeing my *official* baby doctor next week.

The same cannot be said for my life... After yesterday's insanity - between my mom's complications and my speech - I got home from work and was very much looking forward to a relaxing evening. Instead, I got Braxton-Hicks contractions (sonuvabitch, those are more unpleasant than I'd been expecting). Nothing to give a second thought to, I've been assured, but I can see this getting annoying. I frightened a coworker this morning my stopping midsentence and clutching my belly. I'm getting happier and happier about being done work in just over two weeks. I just think that it's getting to be time.

I've had probably around 25 in total during the last 24 hours, just a few seconds each, and totally random. As unpleasant as it's been, it's kind of neat to know that my body is so busy getting ready for Briony to be born.

Baby is still happy and healthy in there, and her head is down now - YAY. My doctor freaked us out today by saying that Baby is good to go any time now... I immediately started to list off all the things we don't have ready yet, and he laughed at me. I'm sure we still have a few weeks to go, but there's nothing like hearing your doctor say something like that (and a few 'practice contractions') to get you feeling extra-motivated to cross a few more things off the 'getting ready for baby' list.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At September 24, 2008 3:28 PM, Blogger Elleah said...

I never had those. I had one contraction, got out of bed, and my water broke, followed by many gradually more and more painful contractions...

 
At September 24, 2008 4:42 PM, Blogger Amber said...

Haha - oh, Lindsay...your baby stories are having me taking my pill at a more precise time than ever before ;)

I'm super curious as to who you frightened in conversation today though!

 
At September 24, 2008 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Amber's pill works better than yours, Lindsay. And countdown to seeing Briony is on...

 
At September 24, 2008 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had weeks of Braxton Hicks and you know, they just help speed your labor up. I'm so excited that you are so close. I can hardly believe it.

 
At September 25, 2008 8:16 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

so exciting! home stretch! I had tons of braxton hicks also, but, they only lasted for about four weeks prior to her actual delivery. good luck!

 
At September 25, 2008 12:38 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

I've had them since month six, but you get into the habit of being really really good at hiding them. I don't think anyone would ever know now when I'm having one. It's exciting though! Almost there girly!

 
At September 26, 2008 1:07 PM, Blogger ka said...

Sorry, never had those. Probably why I never had the speeded up labour Erin refers to. I only felt my first "real" contraction about 6 hours after Scarlett was born... And about an hour before I told the nurse to get the doc to get the epidural going. Fast and furious - apparently that's my baby's style!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home