Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What's In A Name?

A lot of pressure, that's what!

I seriously underestimated the whole baby-naming process - though I suspect I may have put more pressure than usual on myself because naming is such a big part of my everyday job. Granted, that's usually a company or a campaign, not a baby girl. And I had Geoff as a very able naming partner. But STILL. You want to find something that's special, but not weird - I think that's it in a nutshell.

In the end, we ended up back at the beginning. We chose the very first baby girl name that both Geoff and I fell in love with in the first weeks of this pregnancy.

And then came the whole 'should we tell?' debate. In the end, we realized that (a) Geoff and I are not always fans of convention, and (b) Geoff and I are not always fans of secrets and surprises. And so... We pretty much said 'to heck with what everyone else things' and decided that we didn't want it to be a secret anymore.

Baby's name is Briony. We're still working on the middle name. We know it's a little bit of a tricky one... It's BRY-o-nee ('bry' as in 'rhymes with fry' - not 'brie' like the cheese), and while it's rare here in North America, it's reasonably common in the UK and Australia. You'll catch on quickly, we have no doubt :)

We're so excited to meet her soon - and for all of you to meet and love her too!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 26, 2008 11:34 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Sorry for the computer yelling, but I really like it.

It's also unique enough that there won't be a million and one Briony's in her class - which if you ask Shane will be so nice once she's in school.

 
At August 27, 2008 9:34 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

:)

Thanks! We love it too... obviously.

 
At August 27, 2008 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that name! It just sounds like the perfect name for your baby, which of course it is! : )

 
At August 27, 2008 12:23 PM, Blogger gloria said...

beautiful name :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home