Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Things No One Warned Me About: Urine Tests

This *may* count as an overshare. But seriously. It is incredibly difficult to keep doing these urine tests at every single doctors appointment once you can no longer see past your stomach. Just saying. There's a little luck, a lot of faith, and some fancy coordination involved.

As for the rest of my appointment today... Apparently, the results of my glucose test showed that my blood sugar is slightly elevated. The doctor wasn't super-concerned yet, but it does mean that I need to go for the second glucose test. This involves fasting for 12+ hours, a two-hour stay at the lab, drinking lots more of that nasty orange drink, and a blood test every 30 minutes during the two hours that I'm there. Not really impressed.

The plan is to go at 8 am on Friday morning. Geoff's working, but I want to get it over with (and I'm in Kenora for work all day tomorrow, so that's not an option). I'd really appreciate your prayers that morning. It's going to be yucky and hard. And yucky.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 27, 2008 2:47 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

I don't think you've had it yet because it usually takes place between 35 & 37 weeks, but I feel you should definitely be warned about the Strep B swab.

I won't go into detail, but I will say that it took me by surprise - truly one of those "things no one warns you about" - there's good reason for that. Let's just say it's no typical swab. Sorry, TMI.

Oh the joys of pregnancy :)

 
At August 27, 2008 3:31 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Too funny. I've actually been warned about that one... By an un-named friend who was seriously traumatized following her Week 37 appointment, and angry because no one warned her :)

 
At August 27, 2008 3:48 PM, Blogger Charlene said...

you are sooooo in my thoughts. I had to do that! it was awful. I felt terrible. and you aren't allowed to drink during that time either. awful.
yes, fair warning. the Strep B swab is AWFUL AWFUL! good luck at your second glucose test!

 
At August 28, 2008 10:45 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I will be praying for you Lindsay. Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home