Thursday, June 26, 2008

Random Joy

Got an email the other day to let me know that there's a spot open for me at a new Prenatal Yoga class at Moksha, starting July 22. Woohoo! It's not a full course - they created this new condensed class because there were so many people having babies before they made it off the waiting list - but I'll be going on Tuesday and Thursday nights for three weeks. I'm verrry excited.

*

Actually made it to band practice last night, which might not sound like that big of a deal - but it was the highlight of my week so far. It's just one of those things in my life that makes me happy. It's partially the music and partially the people. I left there feeling like I'd been hugged. And actually, I had been. Many, many times. From people who love me unconditionally and have showered me with happy hugs, sad hugs, and every other kind of hug over the years.

*

Tried a new recipe for dinner last night, and it was amaaaaazing.

Skillet Lemon Chicken with Asparagus

1 bunch asparagus (about 1 lb/500 g)
1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced chicken stock
2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind

Cut asparagus on diagonal into 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths. Set aside.

Cut chicken into 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

In large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, about 5 minutes. Add remaining oil to pan. Fry onion, garlic and thyme, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 3 minutes.

Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Add asparagus and chicken stock. Cover and simmer until asparagus is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together lemon juice, cornstarch and lemon rind. Add to pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.

Serves 4.

I served it with organic brown rice, but I think it would have been good with pasta too. You could probably swap the broccoli for the asparagus, but why the heck would you pass up an opportunity to eat asparagus? :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 26, 2008 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious:) The hugs, too:)

 
At June 26, 2008 12:46 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

It does sound delish. I for one was thrilled you came to practice last night and am assuming I am forgiven for my blasphemous comments.

Oh Mary Poppins, you are the best!

 
At June 26, 2008 10:41 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Marilyn - Oh, it was :)

Crystal - I know... I'm a little heartbroken still.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home