Saturday, May 17, 2008

This Is My Life Now...

No one warned me that my constant need to pee would rob me of sleep like this... I thought I'd have to kiss sleep-in Saturday morning goodbye this fall. I haven't had one in MONTHS. By the time I'm up and trekking to the bathroom (well, about two steps across the hall) for the gazillionth time around 7 or 8 am, there is just no getting back to sleep. Oh well. This is my life now, I suppose.

This whole not-sleeping-in-anymore thing paid off big time this morning. Thanks to a tip from Val, Geoff and I were in Wildwood by 8 am this morning and bought a bunch of practically-new, really nice baby stuff from some friends of Steve & Val's who were having a garage sale. For just over $100, we walked away with a baby swing, exersaucer, bathtub/bath seat, bottle warmer, and some baby toys - and they're all so nice. Yay.

We ran a few more errands before heading home, and every time we returned to the car - FULL of baby paraphernalia - we burst out laughing. It just looked so strange and foreign. I know it's time to start thinking about (and collecting) all of that stuff, it's just so new still. It's like pieces of someone else's life.

Out of curiosity, I also price-shopped diapers at a couple of different places today. Holy $$$$. In the space of about an hour, I have become Costco's biggest fan.

You can all stop laughing at me now. This is probably stuff that you think about (or research!) before you get pregnant, if you were the type to plan and dream about motherhood. I wasn't *quite* there yet. So this is all a little funny to me still.

It will be funny to you too in a moment...

See, here is a sneak peek at the current contents of our basement - compliments of this morning's garage sale.







And here is a sneak peek at Geoff's current mancave (*soon* to be our baby's room) - which should pretty much explain why (a) I've been reluctant to collect too much baby stuff, and (b) the stuff we do have is all in the basement.

It might explain some other stuff too :)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At May 18, 2008 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that STILL makes me giggle and seeing it in real life is quite overwhelming!

Yeah, diapers will suck the $$$ right out of you. And the thing for me was, I couldn't use the nice cheap brand because they didn't fit my fat babies. I had to use Huggies on the girls until they started crawling and moving enough that they thinned out. Then I could wear a less expensive brand on them. Weird.

Congratulations on your foray into the world of baby stuff : )

 
At May 18, 2008 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for garage sales! Is Geoff having one?:) Does he remember us dragging him to them as a kid? I think he mostly had used toys but what a nice variety.

 
At May 18, 2008 10:01 PM, Blogger gloria said...

good score girl! i concur with marilyn, Geoff should host his own garage sale or eBay the lot... but i am sure they will all be lovingly wrapped in tissue and put gently in boxes for the next 18 years until he gets his mancave back.

 
At May 19, 2008 4:03 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

Why so SOON??? Kudos to you, I can't even go into a baby section without getting a cold sweat. lol. Never mind those maternity stores!

 
At May 19, 2008 7:11 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

The mancave is moving to the basement... I refuse to be that wife who complains about toys and cars and all of that - I can think of about a hundred worse hobbies that I'd hate for The Boy to have.

I'm hoping to possibly balance out the diaper expense with some savings in the baby food department - I'm intending to learn to make my own this summer (assuming I can still do some gardening in my blimp-like state... hehe).

And about the timing of it all... We aren't all off work, honey. I figure I have my second trimester to get a heck of a lot of stuff done, because when the third hits and I'm still working full-time - there's no predicting how my body will handle it.

 
At May 20, 2008 10:30 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

LOL...I never thought I'd live to see the day where you're posting pics of exersaucers and baby swings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home