Monday, February 11, 2008

Weekend Update: Cold and Lazy Edition

It was a long, cold weekend in Winnipeg... Nothing like snow, wind, and temperatures under -40 to make you feel absolutely crazy for living here.

FRIDAY: Friday night was pretty much the definition of low-key. Geoff picked me up from work and had made dinner (!) so we got home and literally crashed on the couch and watched reruns of 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.' It's a crazy-funny show. If you aren't already a fan, you must become one. In between, I felt guilty about sitting there and doing nothing so I managed to unpack a bunch of stuff from the basement and cleaned the office.

SATURDAY: Someone must have been gunning for some bonus points, because I woke up to a husband cooking breakfast. That's always either (a) a good sign, or (b) a very, very bad sign. It was a good sign.

We headed out to run some errands and pick up groceries. And then it was another do-nothing evening, which was absolutely fine with me because I was not feeling anywhere near 100%. I watched the Dixie Chicks documentary 'Shut Up and Sing' - another must-watch, if you haven't already. And we finished cleaning the house. Then I baked brownies while I caught up with Mel on the phone. And then I fell asleep while Geoff was on the phone. We are SO fabulous and exciting...

The night became significantly more exciting at around 11.30, when Geoff woke me up to take a call from my mom. Calls that late are NEVER a good sign, and this one was no exception: my aunt was being rushed to emergency with all the signs of a major heart attack. I didn't really deal with that news very well. She is incredibly important to me, and she just had to be okay. She just had to be. I didn't even cry, because I refused to think that way. Needless to say, my sleep while I waited for a follow-up phone call wasn't awesome. The phone call finally came, and she's okay - thank god.

SUNDAY: I went to church with Geoff on Sunday and helped him out with sound a little bit. It's starting to feel friendlier and friendlier there - people know my name and go out of their way to come and talk to me. When we were leaving, Katherine (Geoff's 'adopted' grandma) absolutely refused to let me leave without a hug and hearing about my week... So sweet.

In the afternoon, we hosted a joint Open House Extravaganza (exclamation point optional) with my cousins Jon & Tania. Not many people had seen where either of us lived, so we organized an informal little progressive family gathering. They had our grandparents and assorted aunts, uncles, and cousins over to their place for tea in the afternoon, then everyone came to our place for the evening.

A couple of highlights:
- Seeing everyone jammed into Jon & Tania's living room like clowns in a tiny little car (and taking an extra couple of minutes before I spotted Sam sitting UNDERNEATH their computer desk)
- Watching Mady try on ALL of my shoes :)
- My grandpa's comment about how our bedroom reminded him of their honeymoon suite... When I saw that he was going to keep talking, I quietly apologized to Geoff and then RAN downstairs to the safety of the kitchen
- Putting on 'Planet Earth' for the kids, and watching Sophie's face when the lions started attacking and eating an elephant... (Sophie: 'Um, what are they doing?' My Dad: 'They are killing and eating an elephant because they are hungry.')
- Anica keeping me company in the kitchen while providing a VERY detailed account of her recent class presentation on space, and why Orion's Belt is her favourite constellation
- The look on Sam's face when he saw the Man Cave

It was fun. I love hosting stuff like that, and I love having our house full of people. But again - are you noticing a pattern here? - I CRASHED after everyone left. Ugh. I am SO grateful for parents who stay and help clean up without making it seem like it's a big deal at all :)

Overall, the new meds are making me feel like of groggy and I swear I'm significantly more irritable than normal. Every little thing is seriously pissing me off, and I can feel myself doing it - and I HATE IT. I'm not noticing any big changes in fatigue or pain. By the time it's nearing the end of the evening, I'm really tired - that kind of nauseated tired where if anyone gets in the way of my pillow and my sleep, they do so at their own peril. And I wake up with pretty serious leg pain and shakiness.

I have a massage appointment after work tomorrow and a series of appointments with my herbalist this Saturday and next. So we'll see! I'm not giving up yet.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At February 11, 2008 1:40 PM, Blogger ka said...

Sheesh - you're having naps, and el preggo here is hanging out at Hockey Day in Winkler (meh), painting the kitchen AGAIN, cleaning the house after being away for two weeks AND did an entire hockey bag full of laundry (which fits a surprisingly large amount of clothing).

Um. I think this is what they mean by nesting? :)

 
At February 11, 2008 3:17 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Funny...

And shut up - I have NOT been napping. I WISH I'd been napping.

 
At February 11, 2008 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun to share an Open House:) I hope your house feels 'blessed' by all of the family being there. Hope the massage feels GOOD:)

 
At February 11, 2008 8:26 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

I think you are so good to keep at living life to the fullest despite the bumps you are encountering with your physical self along the way.

The combo open houses ... what a great idea.

Couldn't agree with you more on the Dixie Chicks movie. Natalie Maines had me in stitches with a few things she said. Good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home