Sunday, January 20, 2008

Weekend Update: Emily's Picture-Perfect Birthday Edition

FRIDAY: Nothing to note here, really. I worked from home, fighting off extremely icky side effects on Day Two of my 'new and improved' double dose of the new meds. Geoff got home from work around 8 to find a wife who'd cocooned herself into a blanket on the couch, ordered pizza for dinner, and was determined to spent the rest of the evening watching What Not to Wear - and then sleeping (sleep, glorious sleep!). And that, my friends, is *precisely* what happened. No apologies. It was a super-long week.

SATURDAY: I was totally evil yesterday, and refused to take my pills until waaaay late in the day. Instead, Geoff came with me to see Shelly - a herbalist and nutritional consultant who I used to see. It was a great appointment. Shelly is eternally optimistic, and absolutely determined that we can work together to improve my quality of life with fibromyalgia through healthy eating, herbal supplements, and natural therapy options (while not discounting the role that traditional medicine will play). It was music to my ears. There's not really much we can do until I'm off my current meds - so I can't see her again for almost a month. But I was so encouraged to spend some time with someone who (a) believes that I suffer from a disease that causes me lots of discomfort, and (b) believes that we can do something to fix that. Based on my first couple of days on this new dose, I have decided that I need to stop. I can't handle this anymore - it's not a quality of life that's acceptable to me. Unfortunately, it will be a little bit of a process to wean myself back off (and I know that I'm risking a relapse of the pain I dealt with during the first half of January), but I think it's what I need to do. This is no life at all.

After my appointment, Geoff and I went out from brunch (I was starving because I hadn't taken my meds yet), and then Emily came over and we spent the afternoon at Polo Park and getting her make-up done before the whole gang congregated at Elephant & Castle downtown for dinner. Then Emily, Rocky, Chey, and I headed over to the Michael Buble concert. Lucky girl... Who else gets to celebrate their 28th birthday with a Michael Buble concert? What a very cool memory.

Um, AMAZING. We had such a great time - it was an absolutely incredible concert. I'd go into all kinds of details, but my friend Erin (who had *way* better seats) did such a fine job, I'll just link to her summary and you can read it here!

Because I waited until dinner to take my meds, I managed to make it until probably 20 minutes before the end of the show before my nausea and headache kicked in - so I could truly enjoy the evening. I'm sure my doctor would freak about my stupid decision, but I don't care. I have no regrets. Other than the tiny little fact that I was up sooo many times during the night because I was fighting extreme nausea and my legs were in lots of pain. Still, a mild price to pay for a very fun evening out with friends, in honour of Emily :)

Click here to see the pics from Em's birthday dinner.

Oh, and one other (random) thing that happened on Saturday: my car's odometre hit 200,000 kms. Now THAT's depressing. Geoff and I were half-expecting it to either die on the spot, or to spew confetti :)

SUNDAY: Today, we went to church in the morning and then picked up some much-needed groceries. Nothing much planned for the rest of the day. I'm feeling extra-nauseated today and am very much okay with just taking it easy before I begin another busy work week...

Thanks to all of you who continue to pray for us. I can feel your support, and I appreciate your emails and messages you've been sending me. I *am* going to get better - but it's a journey.

Me with the Birthday Girl

Labels: , , ,


At January 21, 2008 11:57 AM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

So glad you enjoyed the concert, day out, time with friends and a hopeful outlook for nutrition to help you:) You gave the medication a good try.


Post a Comment

<< Home