Monday, January 14, 2008

Weekend Update: 'That Dog Would Make Nice Warm Earmuffs' Edition

So we were dogsitting for Jess and Kevin (well, technically, I guess it was for Pugsly) this weekend, and I confirmed one thing immediately upon my arrival at home after work on Friday night: I AM NOT A DOG PERSON.

It seems that the tiny but mischievous pug had managed to escape from our front entrance (chewing the door and our baseboards in the process - ew). In the half-hour that we were away, she had turned a magazine into absolute confetti AND somehow managed to find two pairs of my underwear from my laundry basket and chewed them into shreds as well. Oh, and did I mention that I had to clean up a pile of dog s**t from the carpet AND a puddle on the floor of the bathroom? And Geoff the dog-lover was at work. Awesome. We were off to a *great* start. There is not enough disinfectant in the world to make that okay.

That pretty much set the tone for the weekend. While I was dealing with medication side effects, I was also dealing with a hyperactive puppy who was attempting to chew everything in sight and did NOT have very good manners. Geoff laughed at my attempts to reason calmly with the dog, and our talks about her unacceptable behaviour. And my frantic disinfecting of EVERYTHING.

In between the dog-fuelled insanity (and while I sacrificed yet another pair of underwear - what is UP with this dog?!), I managed to:
- Watch a couple of episodes of What Not to Wear on Friday night
- Have (count 'em!) TWO bubble baths
- Spend a lovely and long-overdue evening at home with Erin on Saturday, made even lovelier by the flowers and muffins that she brought along
- Survive an hour at the home show with my parents on Sunday afternoon - the survival part was more to do with the noise and people and walking around, not with spending time with my parents :)
- Read an entire brainless romance novel (thanks, Em!)
- Do a little bit of work from home

Jess and Kevin called on Sunday that they were ready to come and get their precious little angel. I mentioned that she'd been incredibly hyper. Jessie laughed and agreed with me. I also mentioned that she'd been chewing everything in our house. Jessie laughed again, and agreed with me. All things that would have been *very* nice to know ahead of time... Ah, family :)


PUGSLY: A face that only a mother could love...

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At January 14, 2008 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is always a good idea to 'borrow' an animal (or baby) to decide if one is ready for one. If the 'dog lover' would always be around to clean up, it would make it easier on the one not so keen on having one:) Just get Geoff to walk a dog from the SPCA now and then to get his 'dog fix'!

 
At January 14, 2008 2:35 PM, Blogger ka said...

Junior promises to be much better behaved if he comes to Aunty Lindsay's. And he'll already be used to "talking to's" by the time that happens, so he'll know how to respond. :)

I am a dog person. An OUTSIDE dog person. Where there's the chain on the clothesline for any misbehaving dogs. And they know it. From experience. Hasn't been a problem in a while, though, so there's hope for Junior, too. :)

 
At January 14, 2008 5:23 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Just proves my point...dogs should be outside!

 
At January 14, 2008 11:07 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

I nearly fell off my chair reading that post title :)

I have a dog, though she nearly didn't survive her first week in our house (her 9th on this planet) after she chewed through the 4 legs of my wooden coffee table. Oy. Needless to say, the next one had metal legs.

 
At January 15, 2008 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Pugsly...Having met this creature in person, I'd have to agree with you one the earmuffs! She is...um...hmm...crazy. To say the very least. I think when she ate my dirty kleenex that was the final straw : ) I'm glad you survived.

 
At January 15, 2008 10:51 PM, Blogger gloria said...

i love dogs, i do. but i feel for you. my gf had a whippet that was notorious for eating her panties too... odd.

on the other hand, my gf just dropped off her dog at my house for a week of puppy sitting and informed me on her way out the door that her dog was in heat!

fantastic!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home