Thursday, July 12, 2007

TGI5

Ugh. Officially at my limit for drama. It was almost a 7-11 day. So it's a very good thing it's 5 pm.

I don't know if other industries have *quite* the same culture as ad agencies, but a 7-11 day is basically a day when you're tempted to walk out the front door of the office and go apply to work somewhere non-creative where you require absolutely no brain capacity and no interaction with people. I used to work with a designer who would periodically threaten to quit and go work at 7-11. Another colleague reminds himself that he can always go back to his funnest former job: pizza delivery boy. I wouldn't go that far (my apologies to any blog readers who may work at 7-11 and/or deliver pizzas)... But I'm sure I could come up with SOMETHING. Something that I'd do quite happily for about 14 seconds until I would really, really miss doing exactly what I do.

I love my job, but I deal with SO many people in a single day and everyone needs something. Or ten things. I imagine that it's something like being a mom - lots of kids and lots that I need to take care of, but not a solitary moment to get anything on MY list done. And it's kind of a long list.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At July 13, 2007 8:30 AM, Blogger ka said...

Except that if they are your kids, you can tell them to bugger off from time to time.

Or, to go ask their father...

I have a secret piece of paper in my desk that says, "I asked for it" which reminds me I wanted this job. Beside it I have the nicest thing a listener has ever sent me. On the other side is the nastiest thing a listener has ever sent me. Talk about motivation... Though it does usually work. :)

 
At July 13, 2007 9:12 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

that's exactly what it's like being a mom. Sorry.

 
At July 13, 2007 11:23 AM, Blogger Jolene said...

I feel that way often too as a Grade 6 teacher. Some days I long for the times I used to mow for the Town of Niverville. If the grass ever needed something it didn't have a voice to say anything. However, in my job I might have one of those totally crazy "Mrs. Kehler, Mrs. Kehler, Mrs. Kehler..." days and then the next day I am so proud of my rugrats that it makes everything I do worthwhile. I figure as long as I get those good days I can put up with the crazy ones. Of course we will see how that will work in my next life assignment....as the mom. Yikes!

 
At July 18, 2007 8:22 AM, Blogger gloria said...

OK, its no longer 5!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home