Friday, July 20, 2007

The Same-ingtons

Once upon a time, there lived a young couple. They bought a house in River Heights and moved in, and it was very nice and cozy. He was tall and bald with broad shoulders, and she was a cute and charmingly average-sized brunette - a perfect complement. At a glance, he appeared to be in his early 30s and she in her late 20s. They liked to go on walks, and it was his job to keep the lawn looking its best. It was a very nice little life the two of them enjoyed in their two-storey house in River Heights.

And we bought the house next door.

Geoff prefers to refer to them as 'Bizarro Us' - and though I appreciate the attempted Superman / Seinfeld reference, I've always been a fan of turning nouns and adjectives into names for strangers and friends alike. I dubbed them The Same-ingtons almost immediately. We're both uncomfortably aware that our next-door neighbours are US, just a year ahead of us. We're both a little nervous that Mrs. Same-ington is suddenly going to be sporting a baby bump - LOL. They look like us. They kind of act like us. They even have a twin lawn mower to ours.

And tonight, we managed identical evening plans.

I headed over to the house after work (which was around 8.30), and The Same-ingtons were just leaving their house for a walk. For the first time, we made contact. I looked at them and smiled as I approached the sidewalk, and I got big smiles and a 'hi' in return. As per the plan I had assembled on my way over, I reached the front door and announced to Geoff that we were going for ice cream. He threw on some shoes and we set out on foot. As we approached Dorothy's Ice Cream Parlour (mmm...), we noticed a couple sitting on the bench outside, enjoying some ice cream treats. The Same-ingtons. We all noticed each other, laughed, and said hi and we walked past into the store. Geoff and I strolled around the neighbourhood for a while, taking the long way home. We turned onto our street - and guess who we spotted as they headed back inside their house maybe 100 feet in front of us. Funniest thing ever.

I am seriously introducing myself next time we see them. I will run over and force their names out of them, because this is getting way too weird. I'm sure it's Jeff and Lindie or something ridiculous like that.

Jeff and Lindie Same-ington, of course.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At July 20, 2007 8:51 AM, Blogger gloria said...

Spooky... sounds like an episode of the Twilight Zone!

 
At July 20, 2007 9:37 AM, Blogger Erin said...

That is hilarious!

 
At July 20, 2007 10:33 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

So funny!

 
At July 20, 2007 1:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Probably Jeff and Lindie Right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home