Friday, May 25, 2007

All About The Engagement (and meeting the rest of my new family)

Okay, I'm going to attempt to back up and fill in a couple of blanks. It's been a BUSY couple of days since I last managed to post here.

Wednesday was a really great, really fun, super low-key day. Geoff and I drove into Vancouver in the morning and spent some time picking up house stuff at Ikea (one of those dorky little things you just can't do in Winnipeg). After that, we drove through Stanley Park and I finally checked out the Vancouver Aquarium. I'd tried on one prior occasion... A story that involves my friend Jason, a rather important set of keys locked in an old Sunbird, and an almost-missed flight to Vegas. Anyway. This time, with Geoff, we made it - and I was like a little girl around all the dolphins and sea otters and jellyfish. Super fun.

From there, the surprise evening adventure began. Geoff had made reservations at this amazing restaurant at the top of Grouse Mountain.We sat overlooking Vancouver's downtown - and someone was apparently excited, because we had barely ordered when a rather important question was asked and a rather sparkly ring produced. (I said yes.) We had the place entirely to ourselves until around the time our dessert came. It was perfect.


Our table at the restaurant


The amazing view over dinner

And a couple of 'after' pictures...




Later, we picked up Starbucks and drove to the beach, where we sat while the sun dipped behind the mountains - and I called my parents, who were more than a little bit excited. We got back to Abbotsford and his parents were equally thrilled. It was a really great night. Not a real shock (or even a real surprise) to anyone, but it feels so incredible to finally make this official.


Sunset on the beach

Yesterday morning, we packed up and drove to Kamloops, where we had a pre-arranged lunch date with Hannah (Geoff's sister Joanne's oldest). We spent the rest of the afternoon and all evening with Al & Joanne and their kids (Hannah plus Ruth, Elizabeth, and David). It was so great to meet everyone, and our time felt really short. Kind of crazy that - in a few months - I'm becoming an instant aunt to EIGHT nieces and nephews between the ages of 5 and 17. AND two big sisters AND three brothers-in-law (brother-in-laws? I'm too tired to check).


Feeding Kamloops' marmot population with Joanne (Geoff's sister)

What's a marmot? That's what I wanted to know too. So I found out everything I ever wanted to know about the wascally creatures here. (Now aren't you sorry you asked?)

Oh, and did I mention that I made a very clever first impression on this family by leaving my cell phone in Kamloops?! Awesome. I could not actually feel more stupid about this. FedEx should have it back to Winnipeg in a couple of days. So don't try calling or texting for a little bit :)

Today, we drove home from Kamloops the loooong way, through Kelowna, Penticton, Summerland, Osoyoos, Princeton, Hope, and who knows where else. It took forever, but it was a gorgeous drive through wine country and some absolutely incredible mountain views. Oh, and some hilarious hick towns.


Our beautiful drive 'home' to Abbotsford

Tomorrow should be pretty low-key, then Sunday is Jason & Amy's wedding (Jason of fated prior trip to Vancouver infamy). Then we fly home on Monday afternoon/evening.

Hope all of you in Niverville and the surrounding area are planning to make an appearance on my behalf at Steve & Esther's big fundraising garage sale!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 26, 2007 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realized tonight that I can keep up to date with you on your blog. Good to hear everything is going well. Losing your cell phone explains why you haven't replied to my texting! Isn't BC gorgeous?
love Mom

 
At May 27, 2007 10:41 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Beautiful scenery. Why do we live in Manitoba again?

LOL about the phone. Is that the new fancy-schmancy phone "they" gave to Winnipeg's movers and shakers?

 
At May 29, 2007 1:26 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Yep. All good, though. My future brother-in-law took care of getting it shipped out to Winnipeg, and it arrived on my desk this morning :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home