Saturday, May 19, 2007

All About My Hair

Okay, I had been in BC for less than 12 hours before I realized that packing my hair straightener had been a useless waste of space. Oh well. As hard as we try, it's so difficult to shake our superficial tendencies. (I say 'our' just to make myself feel better, in hopes that I'm not the only one who lives like this.)

I forgot how beautiful it is here. It's been raining non-stop since my plane landed last night, but it's beautiful. It's SPRING. I missed flowers and trees with full leaves and all of those wonderful, beautiful things that mean new life and fresh beginnings. I'm actually excited to see what Geoff's street looks like when we get home - the trees will be amazing.

Last night, Geoff, his mom, and I detoured on our way 'home' from the airport to check out the Richmond Night Market. Didn't really find much, but it was cool. All these vendors set up side-by-side in a dark parking lot (and an almost ten-minute hike in the rain to get to them). Personally, I think the best part was the karaoke-style singing contest going on. The low point was smelling street meat and mini donuts in a little too close proximity. Ew. His dad stayed up to meet me when we arrived. Geoff's family has been so incredibly kind and friendly to me, I felt comfortable with them almost immediately - an answer to prayer, for sure.

Today, we visited the farmers' market in Abbotsford and ran some errands. I met one of Geoff's nieces and two of his nephews in the afternoon. And then I spent the evening with the family walking through Geoff's baby pictures - so fun. It still makes me giggle to see him with hair, though... Though probably not much weirder than when he sees pictures of me as a blonde :)

Tomorrow is church with his parents in the morning, then Geoff's friend's wedding in the aftenoon/evening. I have yet to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with my chia pet hair and how I'm going to make that look formal and beautiful.

Reminds me of that Friends episode... Monica and the table tennis tournament... Proving once again that every single, solitary (somewhat insignificant) life moment can be related to an episode of modern classic television.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At May 20, 2007 9:50 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Good luck with your hair. Don't worry, I'm quite worried about all things pertaining to vanity when I'm travelling too. That's okay! I'm glad to hear you're having a good time with his family. Hope you have a fantastic rest of your trip.

 
At May 20, 2007 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I am dissaponted to be missing out on seeing this hair issue. I laugh now just thinking about it......if ONLY to be there in person! Glad you're having a good time though. Don't you love it that there is a Starbucks on every street corner? See you when you get home.
Alison

 
At May 20, 2007 10:21 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I thought you were going to say the episode of Friends when they're in the Bahamas and Monica's hair frizzes out and she gets her whole head done up in corn rows.

Then she walks around with an exaggerated gait because she likes the clacking noise of the beads.

I think I have a free Mandela shirt somewhere you could borrow.

ps...buy some curl booster and go with the flow.

 
At May 20, 2007 11:35 PM, Blogger gloria said...

oh boy Lindsay, am I supposed to feel sorry for you 'cause your hair is curly? LOL, I think .... not!

 
At May 21, 2007 11:29 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

That is PRECISELY the Friends episode that I had in mind...

I promised myself I'd be cool and relaxed this week - purchased some new hair products the first day I was here, and I'm embracing my inner Annie (or Gloria, if you prefer).

Loving the Starbucks - that's where I spent most of yesterday afternoon :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home