Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Adventures in Grace

I've heard stories from friends about the intense decision-making process involved in choosing a tattoo design. Not me. I knew what I wanted years ago... The decision was really whether or not I actually wanted a tattoo. In the end - I did. I made the appointment on my 25th birthday, last summer in Montreal. And I haven't experienced a moment of regret.

Until this weekend.

See, in the middle of my back, I have permanently inked four simple characters that together form a Greek word: GRACE. I have literally chosen to make this word a part of me, a piece of who I am. And that's easier some days than others. I found myself in a situation this weekend where I wanted to be very UNgraceful and UNgracious. It's the strangest thing to carry your commitment around with you. I knew in my heart of hearts that I needed to extend grace to the person in this situation, because grace has been extended to me. I'm not perfect (shocking, I know), so I can't expect others to be.

That sucks, doesn't it? Took the wind right out of my sails, and the bite out of my tongue - and that bite was going to be so very [temporarily] satisfying :)

And that's kind of the beauty of this whole concept of grace. It gives us the freedom to be and to live, mistakes and all. Because the one who made me knows what's inside the very core of my heart - and he thinks it's beautiful. Most days, that simple truth totally blows me away.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At April 24, 2007 9:36 AM, Blogger Erin said...

That was a great post, Lindsay. Sometimes I wish I had "grace" tattooed on me somewhere, along with "patience", "wisdom", "self-control", etc., etc!

 
At April 24, 2007 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides being honest and vulnerable, bless you for sharing your struggles and triumphs...encouraging to others.

 
At April 24, 2007 9:59 AM, Blogger gloria said...

very good Lin, but now I am dying to know who you wanted to beat the snot out of and why! Does that make me a bad person?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home