Thursday, April 26, 2007

Home Again

Who says you can't go home again? This week, that's precisely what I've been doing - and it's been really, really good. There's something about comfortable people and places that just makes your soul happy.

On Monday night, I spent some time with Emily. We met at St. Vital Park for our first picnic of the year, then went for a walk, grabbed some ice cream, and went shopping for a while. It was so good - and we laughed through most of the evening, I think. Em and I were roommates for so long that time with her is deliciously comfortable. We get each other, and all of our flaws and quirks are right out there in the open. There's something very special about friends like her.

Tuesday was spent with my family plus Kris - having dinner at my parents' place, hanging out in the hot tub, drinking tea with my mom, playing video games with my brother. It was nice to have that down-time. And hearing about what Kris has been doing in Guatemala over the past couple of months definitely helps to put things here in perspective. Kris has an uncanny ability to make the people around him smile - I always feel encouraged when I've spent some time with him.

And last night, I was hanging out with Geoff (who's coming off a couple of consecutive night shifts). Another person I love, and another person I'm so comfortable with. We went for dinner, then crashed on his couch and watched a funny, brainless movie. It's like God knew that I needed a couple of nights 'off' - some time and space to let go of all the stress I've been carrying around with me.

I'm a person who simply craves HOME. It's so interesting to see how - in the absence of a space that really feels like home - we seek out and create home wherever we are. Home is people as much as it is places. It's a feeling. And it's a good feeling :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At April 26, 2007 9:15 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Glad to hear you were able to have some down time. It does a lot for renewing the mind and spirit. Thoughts and prayers for you in the last stretch!!!

 
At April 28, 2007 9:11 AM, Blogger esther said...

yeah...home. it's true, you crave it!!! i'm a true, blue home-body!!
loved this...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home